Honey Wheat Bread w/grains from a Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
Yesterday I baked 2 loaves of Honey Wheat Bread which I have done a few times before, but this time I used the grain left over from my Nut Brown Ale I made on Tuesday.

Here is the basic recipe:

1 package wheat bread yeast
1 1/2 cups water (105 - 110 degree)
1/4 cup Honey
2 tbs Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Dry Milk
1/2 egg beaten
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Cummin
1 cup Bread Flour (white)
2 - 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Nut Brown Ale Grains

Place the yeast, 1 1/2 cups water, 1/4 cup honey and 2 tbs brown sugar in large mixing bowl. Stir well and allow to bloom.

When yeast mixture is bubbling nicely, add dry milk, beaten egg, salt, cummin and white flour. Mix with a thoroughly, then add in your grain. Mix and slowly add the wheat flour until a nice dough forms.

Note: Wheat bread rises better when slightly more moist than normal bread dough.

Role out your dough on to a lightly floured board and need until smooth. Place the dough into a oiled bowl and cover and allow to raise for 1 hr. or double in size. Punch down dough and form into a loaf and place in a well greased pan, then allow to raise again until double in size. Bake at 375 until golden brown on top. I brushed the top of my loaf with EVOO.

Allow bread to cool on rack before cutting and sampling.

No picture to post right now, but the bread is slightly dense with nice grain texture and flavor.

Salute! :mug:

Back