Newbie brewing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judged

Reaction score
I have a few questions about brewing equipment. I was wondering what is a cost effective way to start brewing mead. I really would rather not spend $200 on a hobby before I know if I like it or not. I apologize if that offends you.

I was also wondering about sediment. What is th best way for removing sediment after you syphon it to the scond fementor? I tried mead sometime last year and loved it. I want my friends to try it. However I don't present my freight des something that is cloudy.

Let it drop a sediment in primary, siphon to secondary leaving as much sediment as you can. Let it alone to clear.

Young meads don't often taste good anyway so you're likely to have to age it for 6 months plus anyway.

If its not cleared naturally then, whack it with fining agents......

If it measures dry once the ferment is finished and you are aiming for a straight traditional type mead, rather than risk clearing it first only to have a haze from back sweetening honey, you can just finish a ferment in the usual way, then hit it with sulphites and sorbate to stabilise it, then back sweeten it by the numbers (say 1.020 for a medium sweet, which isn't too sweet like a dessert type mead), then let it clear....

Back