planned ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Not exactly sure about how much of an IPA this is going to be but its something I just thought of on the spot.

6lb lme
2lb dme
4-8oz munich 10L
8oz carafoam
2oz Carafa II or 4oz special b
4oz crystal 60L

1oz citra at 60
1oz centennial at 30
.50oz simcoe + .50oz amarillo at 15
.50oz simcoe + .50oz amarillo at 5
1oz citra dry hop for 14 days in secondary

So what do you think?

That's going to be more black IPA-ish. I would partial mash this beer and reinforce the black IPA idea a bit more.
I would also move Centennial to 60, skip the 30 minute addition entirely, and focus the rest of your additions at 15, 10, or 5 as well as 0 and DH.

No point using a prized hop like Citra as your bittering addition, unless you're going to FWH.

I would use a cheaper less rare hop like magnum for your bittering addition. I would take all those other hops and move them down into the under 20 minutes range. something like 15 5 and 0 additions of course DH as well.

I did revise the ingredients a bit. I do want a black IPA and I can have a brew or two if I make this batch.

6lb lme
2lb dme
7 oz Blackprinz (breiss) malt 500 L [I tried to keep it below 5% grain bill to add color w/o much flavour]
4oz carafoam
4oz special b
4oz crystal 60L

1oz centennial at 60
1oz columbus at 15
.50oz simcoe + .50oz amarillo at 5
.50oz simcoe + .50oz amarillo at 0
1oz citra dry hop for 14 days in secondary

Calculated IBU's at 44.5 which I think is about right for an IPA that is not too overpowering.

Columbus would be even better at 60. I like my IPAs around 55-70 IBUs. Imperials get 70++.

I would personally dryhop with at least 2.50 oz. for a 5.00 gallon batch of regular IPA. You could probably get by with 1.75 oz.

Remember, a TON of the aroma will come from flameout and dryhop... 5 minute to a lesser extent. 15 & 10 will provide even less aroma.

Latest posts

Back