Wine Bottle Sanitizing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebb

Reaction score
I get bottles from a local winery. I put them in a big pot of boiling water to get the labels off. I fill them up with water before putting them in the pot. I leave them in there for 5 minutes or so, pull them out and pull off the labels and then pour the water out. The water in the wine bottle is very hot at this point. My question is: Is this considered sanitizing the bottle or should I be doing something more before putting my wine in the bottle? I have used this method for quite sometime and have never had a problem. The more I read on the net about sanitizing the more I am questioning myself.

So long as the bottles are clean (no mold or bits of grime or crust) a 150* bath for 10 mins will sanitize most things. I've put bottles through the dishwasher (very hot) and have had no problems with my Graff. After nearly 4 months they are still tasty.

Latest posts

Back