cleaning false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnkleKunkle

Reaction score
other than running some sanitizer through the hlt and mash tun followed by hot water (like 150 F) to flush everything out, is there anything else i should do to make sure it stays clean?

:ban:

The mash tun is pre-boil. No need to sanitize. I Just rinse well to get the chunks out and air dry.

tru. ya all i do is before i start heating the water to strike the grains i heat water up to like 100-120 and just run it through. i havent used sanitizer on it yet. thats why i was curious as to whether it would be smart or not

tru. ya all i do is before i start heating the water to strike the grains i heat water up to like 100-120 and just run it through. i havent used sanitizer on it yet. thats why i was curious as to whether it would be smart or not

Yeah, you are good to go. Unless there is mold growing in it, dead mice or anything like that, I wouldn't even think to wash any of my kettles =)

lets say i do end up seeing mold in my tun the next time i go to use it. how would you recommend that i clean it properly?

Fill it up with hot water and some Oxyclean, automatic dishwasher detergent or PBW and let it soak for an hour or so. Rinse well several times and you are good to go.

I take my false bottom out of the MLT after each brew... A lot of grain ends up under there and I know of no other way to get it out. I usually have a big cooler or rubber-maid container of warm oxyclean while I'm cleaning up after brew day, so the FB goes in there while I'm cleaning other stuff.

I just remove the false bottom and spray it clean with the hose then the rest of the MLT...done.

I don't use soap in there either. It's only sugar water afterall.

As long as you don't let it sit full of grain overnight a hot wash and rinse is all that's necessary.

Back