Homegrown Hops Recipe (All Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnscherm

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some help in developing a recipe for my first batch of homegrown hop beer. I've just finished harvesting, drying, and bagging my my first year crop, and this is what I ended up with:
1oz Nugget
1oz Tettnang
5/8oz Cascade
3/8oz Centennial
1/8oz Hallertau

My first thought had been to brew a pale ale, but I'm thinking maybe a dry hopped American Amber Ale would be a little more foregiving. Other ideas, or recipe recommendations?

I'm not opposed to using store bought hops in this recipe, to bump up the IBUs, but I'd like the hop flavor to come from the homegrown hops.

Thanks!

I'd probably lump the cascades, centennials, and nugget into the last 10-15 minutes of the boil. You can pick up some store bought chinook or columbus, and use them for bittering at the beginning of the boil. The hallertau and Tettnang should be used for an english style beer. Maybe a German Hefe since you don't have many.

I also just brewed an American Amber w/ homegrown hops. I mixed my Cascade and Nugget together and threw in 1.5oz. (dried) at flameout. I let it steep for about 10 minutes and then cooled. It had a very nice hop aroma to it before I sealed the fermenter up.

Suthrncomfrt1884,

That sounds like a good idea. I almost just bagged the centennial and cascade together, but thought I could always blend them later.

Would you mind posting the recipe that you used for your Amber?

I forgot to post last night when I got off work.

Off the top of my head -

6lbs. - 2-row
1.5lbs - Vienna
6oz. - Crystal 60L
6oz. - Caramel 120L
4oz. - Victory
2oz. - Chocolate Malt

.5oz. - Chinook (11.4%) 60min.
.5oz. - Liberty (4%) 10min.
1.5oz. - Homegrown Cascade/Nugget Mix (?) 0min.

Wyeast American Ale
1tsp. - Irish Moss 15min.

Mashed for 90 min. at 157F. Sparged at 169F. Pre-boil Gravity - 1.042. Boiled for 60min. O.G. 1.048. Chilled to 75F. Pitched 1000mL starter.

I'm not sure how this will turn out. I mashed at a higher temp to help the maltiness of the beer, but in doing so, I sacrificed a little efficiency. Not enough to concern me. This should be a good beer. Depending on the taste, I might up the hop levels next time. Also, I might use a little more 2row. I only had 6lbs. on hand, so that's why I threw in the vienna. I'm a huge fan of vienna so it didn't seem like a problem.

Latest posts

Back