Kegging 1/2 of a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I just installed my kegerator system and today I'm going to begin brewing what will be my first batch for kegging.

Only problem is, I like to share my brews so I'd like to bottle half of my batch and keg the other half. Does anyone else do this?

Does starting with a 1/2 full keg put my beer at any disadvantages re: carbonating, wasting C02, oxidation, etc? If I force carb, do I need a huge amount of pressure? Is it impossible to naturally carbonate in the keg because there's so much room for the C02 to escape?

What's the best way to carb in this case... Should I put priming sugar in the individual bottles and then force carb the kegged portion? Or should I prime the secondary in the usual way and bottle half, and then let the remaining portion condition in the keg? Or something else entirely?

Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated... And for those of you who keg exclusively, how do you share your brews with people who aren't visiting your house?

Thanks,
chris.

The easiest way is to prime the whole batch, bottle what you want and put the rest in a keg. You'll probably need some CO2 to finish carbonation on the keg.

Growler for brews that don't need much carbonation, soda bottle & Carbonator cap for those that do. Or I might just take the whole keg to a meeting.

Or keg the whole batch, force carb and bottle what you need.
I have a beer gun but you can make one for a few bucks that works just as well.

Here is Kens or do a search for Biermunchers beer gun
CheapBottleFiller.jpg

Latest posts

Back