Best fitler on keggle bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I have a keggle that I use to boil my 10 gallon batches. I never had any problems until my most recent batch, and it got clogged. It was a mix of cold break, pellet hops, and whole hops. I have looked around, and know that I have a few options, but I wanted to see if there is anything that will connect easily to the valve that I have on my keggle. I have a thur-hull valve like the one in the picture, so there are no threads to attach anything to. Thanks for any help you can give me.

conbraco65.jpg

Here's a simple solution, cut a slit (1/4") on the end of the copper pipe you plan to connect to your "thru-hull", then use a SS clamp and screw tight. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not quite following you. The flat part(top of the picture) is on the inside of the keg, then I have a ball valve, then a nipple that I have some plastic tubing on. Anyone else have any ideas?

I stole this idea from Lil' Sparky, (who in all fairness stole it from someone else):
hop%20filter.jpg

works great for straining out your hops after a boil so you dont have to worry about clogging at all!

So you currently have no dip tube installed? How do you get all the wort out - tilting the keg at the end? Or do you consider the last gallon or more as an acceptable loss?

I use a dip tube that goes right to the bottom so it leaves less than a cup of liquid at the end. I use a hop bag like deathweed, and drain every drop of wort from the keggle, cold break and all, with no form of filter or screen whatsoever.

Funkenjaeger said:
So you currently have no dip tube installed? How do you get all the wort out - tilting the keg at the end? Or do you consider the last gallon or more as an acceptable loss?

I use a dip tube that goes right to the bottom so it leaves less than a cup of liquid at the end. I use a hop bag like deathweed, and drain every drop of wort from the keggle, cold break and all, with no form of filter or screen whatsoever.

I tilt the keg at the end to get the last part out. Very little is wasted, and it is mostly just hop and cold break material.

The hop bag seems like a good way to go, but does it work for both pellet and whole hops, and how do put the wort chiller in early enough in the boil to sanitize it?

Hermish said:
The hop bag seems like a good way to go, but does it work for both pellet and whole hops, and how do put the wort chiller in early enough in the boil to sanitize it?

I use a similar hop bag, though I have dowel rods at the top of mine so I can roll it up to drain the wort from the hops. I also use an immersion chiller and I simply stick the chiller into the wort after the hot break and leave it in through the boil.

Bobby_M said:
I don't mount my big hop bag like that. I just drape it over the side of the pot and secure it with a spring clamp. Unclip for new additions, etc.

That sounds real easy. You are using a nylon hop bag right? And have no problems with the heat?

Latest posts

Back