Anyone know of a good gap setting for a barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I loaned out my barley crusher to a new all grain brewer and when I got it back the gap setting had been changed. Just one of the reasons why my brew day ended up with 60% efficiency.:( Does anyone happen to know of a good gap setting on the barley crusher for BIAB? I had it written down on a piece of paper taped to the bottom of the crusher but that is gone too.

I have .034 set for mine. you may like it tighter for BIAB. as tight as you can get it for wheat and mill wheat twice for a good crush. at .033- .034 I hit 85% on average. Cheers:mug:

The default from factory is .039. I set mine to .035. Also, I highly recommend getting some feeler gauges. I picked mine up at Sears for like $6 or something, and it's much more precise than using a credit card. Small price to pay for what can end up being a better efficiency level in your brew.

I did it when I was doing BIAB and for my full out mash tun now. When I was BIAB'ing it, I would double crush, now I single crush and I'm fine.

I have the Barley Crusher mill & do PB/PM BIAB in my 5 gallon SS kettle. I use the factory lash of .039" & it works great. compared to what I was doing. My OG's are def up a few points as a result. The notches on the roller adjusters is for the factory .039" setting. It worked really well on my PM Berlin Wheat kits as well.

I've had good luck adjusting the gap until I get a proper crush. It's not really gap specific, IMHO.

I use a MM2 (set at factory to .045) and I moved it in to .039. I suppose I could tighten up a bit more, but I get a good crush and very good efficiency with BIAB, so I'll leave it where it's at.

And another vote for getting a feeler gauge set. Takes out the guesswork, and makes it easy to check for parallel.

Back