Let's talk water filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two issues back in BYO there was an article using an inline culligan filter and pvc. Cost was around $25 total. If you like, I will pm you the parts list.

Walmart has one that is labelled as a whole house filter for $27. It has a clear body with 3/4" FPT ins and outs and uses standard cartridges. It comes with a carbon filter and a two-pack of replacements are only $9. This is a great deal actually. I'm going to be buying two for actual whole-house filtration but I plan to put a sediment cart ahead of the carbon one just to change out whichever actually needs changing. That is, if there's a lot of sediment in the water, I'd rather change out the cheaper sediment filter more often rather than continuously clog the carbon unit. I'll take my brewing water from any faucet in the house. If you want to use in a garden hose situation, just get 3/4 female pipe to garden hose adapters or use 3/4" MPT to hose barb connectors to put the thing inline with a hose.

Vermicous said:
Two issues back in BYO there was an article using an inline culligan filter and pvc. Cost was around $25 total. If you like, I will pm you the parts list.

I did that one--but I had to order the filter from Culligan, couldn't find it locally.

Cool little project though.

Vermicous said:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate that.

This is probably a dumb question, but will this filter out minerals in the water? I take into account my water profile when brewing, but would I lose any of my natural minerals using an inline filter?

I use an Omnifilter whole house filter, clear base with a 20 micron filter for post CFC, and a .5 micron for kegging. Great system. All in all about 30 in filter and fittings.

Reverse osmosis and distillation remove minerals. I found this link while researching filters: http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/water_filter_comparison_matrix.cfm
I ended up buying the Aquasana system off ebay.
Got the unit that mounts alongside the kitchen sink faucet. I just use it for drinking water and brewing. The flow rate would be too low for the garden hose approach like the BYO shower filter. It flows at something around a gallon per minute.

I picked up the MoreBeer filter:
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16762

So far I like it - works well, has hoses and fittings all attached. I'll purchase the filters locally once this one gets old - not really sure when that will be, I guess I'll let it go a year before I replace it. Once I am done brewing, I drain the water out and let the filter dry.

1552.jpg

got mine at Lowe's, and bought the fittings for less than what Morebeer sells it for. I use a quick disconnect to hook it up to a hose. Its a carbon filter, removes 99.9% of Chlorine and other wierdness.

3548-waterpurificationandgasline.JPG

3548-quickdisconnectonwaterfilter.JPG

Biermann said:
got mine at Lowe's, and bought the fittings for less than what Morebeer sells it for. I use a quick disconnect to hook it up to a hose. Its a carbon filter, removes 99.9% of Chlorine and other wierdness.
Those that have this type of filter, do you run the water pressure at full blast, or do you slow it down? Does it work "more betterer" if you run the water slowly?

I used to have mine set up like the Morebeer one that MA_Brewer picutred, but the hoses would get all tangled especially when it was cold, and it would always fall over. Recently I did this with a bit of PVC and some aluminum flat stock.

filtertop.jpg

filterkeg.jpg

The filter inside is the carbon block one from morebeer. They recommend running it at 1 gpm to filter out the chloramines. The housing and the rest of the bits are from Lowes or HD.

-S

MA_Brewer said:
Those that have this type of filter, do you run the water pressure at full blast, or do you slow it down? Does it work "more betterer" if you run the water slowly?
I run it "in between." It works pretty effectively at any flow, but its a lot more messy at full bore.

I also recently fit a shut off valve at the end of the output so I can turn the faucet on, and then turn on/control the rate of flow of the filter.

Works good.

Bobby_M said:
Walmart has one that is labelled as a whole house filter for $27. It has a clear body with 3/4" FPT ins and outs and uses standard cartridges. It comes with a carbon filter and a two-pack of replacements are only $9.

I just did this exact upgrade, going to bust it's cherry tonight on either a standard bitter or Project Dunkelweisen. Cost me about $50CAD all-in, got it at Revy.

Back