I could use some help if possable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasieboy

Reaction score
I have not tried to transfer a recipie from extract to all grain...wondering if somone can help me "break the code" here..
I have a couple recipies for a few beers from a good friend of mine that are extract but have been turning out very good
If someone can help me turn these into all grain it would be much appriciated

1# Vienna malt
1/2# Crystal 40L
1/2# malted wheat
1/2# Cara Pils
1/2# flaked barley
4-7 pounds roasted pumpkin flesh (cut pumpkin half, place cut side down in pan with 1/2" of water and roast at 350F until pumpkin is soft enough to collapse when you press on it with a spoon, cool and scrape)

Hold between 150-170F for 1 hour. Remove grains and pumpkin. Add:

6 lbs dry Pale malt extract (7 lbs liquid)
1 oz Mt Hood hops (I've also used Liberty)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses

the next one that im actually more interested in trying is

8# pale liquid
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L
0.5# cara pils
0.5# flaked barley

The easiest way to convert your recipes is to change the pale extract to 2-row. For dry extract, divide your extract quantity by .60 and for liquid extract, divide by .75.

If you know the target OG of any PM brew, all you need to do is replace your pale malt extract (whether liquid or dry) with an amount of either 2-row (american or UK depending on style), pils malt (again, depending on style), or other base malt that will get you to the target OG.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Do you know your mash efficiency? If not, I would suggest going with something on the lower end as you're just starting off with AG, maybe 65-70% range. Plug in your extract recipe, get the OG, then plug in the AG recipe with malt extract replaced with 2-row @ 65-70% mash efficiency (I would suggest american 2-row as the base malt for your above recipes).

first.. what brand of pale malt extract are you using? if you were to use just pale malt in its place, you may be not be adding all the ingredients that are in their extracts. for an example briess may use 2 row malt and their carapils malt. alexanders may use just plain pale malt. muntons may have light crystal malt added to their lightest extracts.

not sure on the brand of extract..guess i'll just have to wing it...will probably go with American2 row....Thank you for all your help didnt know if it was just as easy as replacing one for the other or not....I will get the OG from him and that will help me built this recipie up. I was hearing that it was like a 1> 1.2 ratio that would be for changing from extract to grain such as 8# pale extract would be like 9.6# of grain, but your right getting the OG will fix all that..should have thought of that earlier :drunk:

If you use a calculator like the link I posted then you don't need to get the OGs from him. In fact, here ya go..

Assuming this is a 5 gallon batch, I get an OG of 1.068 for your second recipe assuming 70% efficiency. Just plug in your extract weight, grains you're mashing, your efficiency, batch size, boil volume and you're good to go. Converting this to AG and assuming 65% efficiency, you'll need 10.5 lbs of pale 2-row to hit 1.068. Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions about your system like your efficiency, boil size, batch size, etc, but the concept would be the same if you were to do it on your own.

Back