I got an issue :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emcbride81

Reaction score
So I made a batch of wort (only my 3rd) and due to my work/school schedule I was unable to bottle it when I was supposed to. It has now been 2 weeks. So my questions are:

1) Is the yeast dead at this point? It would seem to me that they would be, so is it even worth trying to bottle?

2) Can I add yeast to it and then begin the bottling process? If so, how much yeast should I add and how long should I wait to bottle it? Will this significantly change the taste?

Thanks
Eric

I just left a stout kit in primary for 6 months and it bottle-carbed in a week. I think you'll be just fine.

The yeast should not die that quick from JUST running out of wort to eat. Most will however go dormant and a lot will settle to the bottom. If the fermenter was kept within temps (No REALLY high or low temps) you will have plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the bottles.

Go for it. Bottle that puppy and start another batch. Cannot have a good fermenter just sitting around.

I leave all of my brew AT LEAST 4 weeks in primary and usually it's much longer before it's bottled. There are millions of yeast in perfectly clear beer and they are active for many, many months.

You should try leaving your beers longer in the primary at least once so you can see the major improvement.

Welcome to HBT! We're glad to have you here. :)

2 weeks is no problem, 2 months is no problem. just bottle when you get the time.
like others have said, its not uncommon to leave beers in primary for a month, and some of us secondary after that too.

where do you go to school? SU?

Nothing new here, but I'll chime in to agree. I go about a month before bottling on most of my brews. More time in the fermenter means better beer.

2 weeks is no problem, 2 months is no problem. just bottle when you get the time.
like others have said, its not uncommon to leave beers in primary for a month, and some of us secondary after that too.

where do you go to school? SU?

Right now I am at Lord Fairfax knocking out some prereq's but will be applying to SU for grad school soon!

Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for the help!!! I was worried that this batch was ruined! I will be bottling it within the next week or so!

Latest posts

Back