Honey Kvass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onihige

Reaction score
I don't know much about kvass, but it doesn't seem to usually be made from honey, but I found a recipe with honey. Not really a mead, normally.

Bread& Wine, Polish, European, Asian, cuisine: Lithuanian Honey Kvass

Now I have a question, wouldn't 150 ml of honey be a bit much? When using this: Honey amounts converter | Nutrition facts | Convert to units and culinary measures. I get ca 215 grams and that would have an OG of ca 1.040, and in a week that could produce a bit more than the usual 0.5%-1% ABV.

Any thoughts?

the amount seams about right. should get a beer strength beverage. but the big thing will depend on what yeast is used. obviously using a yeast that tops out at 4% or so. any wine yeast would make it bone dry and certainly not sweet.
i think a lot of bread yeast are low alcohol tolerance, but not all. some will do 13-14%.

I did an experiment way back with the bread yeast we usually buy and it fermented like hell for ages.

Back