Yeast bottle harvest to starter has a floater, see pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthe1

Reaction score
I flamed the lid/cap of a pliny the elder bottle and poured in to a sanitized flask with 1/4 cup DME and 1Qt water (previously boiled and cooled). Had it on a stir plate slow for almost 48 hours and see what looks to be mold floating on top. It is VERY different from the flocculating yeast slowing spinning around. It appears more stringy than clumpy.

I already pitched in WYeast 1056 and WL001 into my wort, yes I know they are the same, but I experiment.

onthe11

To use or not to use the starter, that is the question?

After turning off the stir bar, the yeast settled and this little guy floats. My guess is to pitch it. The smell is alcoholic and not sweet like at 24 hours. I would've tasted this morning but pliny yeast doesn't go well with eggs.

photo-1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the flavor in Pliny comes from the hops, not the yeast... so I wouldn't pitch it, especially if there was any chance this yeast was infected.

If you are making a Pliny-ish beer, then I would just let your combo of 1056/001 finish her up.

Amanda

Ah yes, sorry for the nomenclature mix up... I "pitched it" into the sink not the wort. Thanks for the confirmation.

Back