Books on All Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochmiel2003

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew of a good book for a guy interested in all-grain brewing. I've been brewing extract batches for the last year and want to learn more about this method. Thanks.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a good book for a guy interested in all-grain brewing. I've been brewing extract batches for the last year and want to learn more about this method. Thanks.
Palmer's book is free on the web. You get what you pay for IMHO. Personally, try Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer by David G. Miller (Paperback - Jan 10, 1995) Very dated but one of the best beginning OG books. Palmer owes Miller more than is is acknowledged in MO.

New Brewing Lager Beer: The Most Comprehensive Book for Home and Microbrewers by Gregory J. Noonan (Paperback - Oct 25, 2003). A book for the more advanced brewer, but well worth the effort. After a few months, you'll wonder why youhad any trouble with it. Covers ales and lagers.

Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer by Maureen Ogle. Although not a brewing how-to, a must read for the educated homebrewer.

The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing by David G. Miller (Hardcover - Jan 11, 1988). Another Miller Book. Makes AG seem intuitive, and IMHO sent a couple copycat wannabes on his trail ( who's names start with J) :D

I just started AG and I really found BobbyM's primer helpful as well as his youtube videos. There are other youtube vids if you search there too.

Read as many threads here as you can. I got more info from that than any book I bought.

There are a lot of helpful calculators, checklists and articles here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestions, and Bobby M thanks for the "All Grain Primer" and letting me know I don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on starting out.

I just purchased Palmer's book and I look forward to it. Thanks again.

Back