RIMS first run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I just ran my first batch on my newly installed RIMS system. It was awesome! I hit 87% efficiency, I will be dialing that back a bit. My thermocouple read very accurately but my PID kept cycling high resulting in my mash running a few degrees high. I already made adjustments to the thermocouple input value so I think it will be dead on next time. This is a lot of fun and look forward to more consistent beers down the road. FWIW I ran 10lbs of grain in 5G H2O and was able to hit mash out temp in under 15 minutes with my PID only pulling 10 amps.

What type of equipment are you using? I just ordered the stuff to build a RIMS setup, and am excited to get it going. I ordered the RIMS tube from BrewersHardware and the controller from EmbeddedCC. How many watts is your element, (assuming you are using electric)?

Don

Curious what kind of MLT/false bottom you are running what kind of mill you used/what is the gap set at?

Cheers - sounds like a great 1st run!

I use a 10 G Rubbermaid cooler, one of the round ones. I have a copper manifold instead of a false bottom. My mill is a Barley Crusher set at .036. Today I had my second run and I pushed things a little faster because I lost time on a long step mash process. I was able to sparge in 13 min with an efficiency of 78%. Also my PID is dialing in my system, it figured out the lag time between heat input and temperature increase at my TC so the temp stayed within 1 degree almost the entire time today.

Back