Carbonation 1 Question/1 Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeerGynt

Reaction score
First with the carbonation problem:

I finished and bottled my first brew on the 6th of March. The beer is a "Noble" Trappist Ale from a kit. The kit instructions said to use 5 oz of corn sugar (which was included in the kit). After tasting my first bottle last night I came to two conclusions 1. WOW, it's good, and 2. Wow, it's over carbonated.

I've been reading that I could uncap and let these bottle vent to get rid of some of the carbonation. But my questions about this are, should I do this? How long of having the beers uncapped will get a desirable change? Or any other advice you guys might have.

Now with the carbonation question:

I bought a party pig for my next pale ale which is currently conditioning in the secondary. It says the 2 1/4 gallons of beer that will be stored in it only need 1/3 to 1/4 a cup of priming sugar, but the rest of the 2 3/4 gallons of beer is going to need the normal amount. Has anyone figured out an easy way to do this that doesn't involve carbonation drops in the beer bottles?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, 5 oz is too much a lot of the time. I generally only end up using 3.5 oz or so.

Decarbing bottled beer isn't something that I would try. I'm sure it would be doable, you'd probably just want to figure out what temperature to get the bottles down to, allow them to stabilize at that temperature and then pop them and recap to clear the head. Just be careful to scale the amount of sugar correctly for your now smaller bottle arrangement.

As far as carbing the TAD system, what I've done in the past is to make two separate batches of priming sugar, one for the TAD bottle, the other for the bottling bucket. Add the boiled sugar to the respective vessels (make sure you cool the sugar for the TAD) and then just siphon in your beer.

Back