Moving to WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
About 15 min east of Bellingham in a town called Nooksack (AKA Nutsack by the family.)
I have gotten set up at Whatcom Community College. They have stated that they will accept most of the classes I have taken at Devry so I will be OK. Even if they don't I will only be 9 months behind and I can make that up relatively fast. I have already proven I can do the work I will just need to reprove it.
This was decided because among other reasons the schools in CA suck and my middle child has been diagnosed with some pretty sever learning disabilities. CA has proven already that they are not where we want him getting an education. The reason we decided so far up north is My family lives up here and my father being retired he wants to keep the kids while I go to school and my wife works. It will save us a lot on childcare, and my mother is a Associate Professor at Western Washington University who deals solely in special education. So we have an "in" with the local districts before my son even gets there.

Whatcom county is a pretty nice place. If you are outdoor oriented, you'll find you've landed in a neat spot.

I have been up here for about a week this time looking for a place. From the times I have been in the area it is nice. We are looking at this a very positive move...

I live about 20 minutes south of Bellingham, and I absolutely love the area! There is a great LHBS in Anacortes, and also one in Bellingham, but I have never been to the one in Bellingham so can't say anything about it. You picked a great place to relocate to.

Sounds like you have a whole box full of good reasons to move. Nice area. I spent a year in Bremerton back in the '70s.

The two main reasons I left CA were less traffic and an affordable retirement.

Didn't plan on getting married at 58, but happy it happened.

My wife and I may be heading up there as well. CA is a beautiful screwed up state. We live 40 min east of smelLA and hate it. Just gotta wait a year for the wife to finish X-ray school. Good luck to you and the family on the new move.

Thanks guys we found a place and we will be looking at it on Thursday so it looks like we are all set...

Lived in B'ham from 2001-2004. Loved the city, hated the weather. Started brewing there, thanks to Mars at North Corner Brew Supply... don't know if they're still around. One beautiful change: Chuckanut Brewing Company. Amazing! Boundary Bay is always great too.

I'm now in Fresno and have no plans to leave :)

Damn you California people moving up here. I here Oregon is nice haha. Welcome, my wife went to western i always liked up there in the north.

I have never called myself a California person. I graduated from High school in Springfield OR..:D California was just a soft place to touch down after my medical retirement.. We figured We would be near my wife's mother for a while and let he has unrestricted access to the kids. Ya that did not work out so well so it is time to move on and give my parents time near the grand kids. At least my parents have made an effort to spend time with them. For the last couple of years they have been flying the kids to their home for a month or so during the summer.

I have found a home and will be taking possession of it Sept 1st and school starts Sept 28th and life will continue from there. WIsh us luck...

Thanks it looks like a nice area and should be good for the kids. A small town to grow up in and grandparents who will very active in their life.

Back