hemp beer (the right way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilninja

Reaction score
I have read numerous posts on this subject on this site and others and sorted out the facts from fiction. I have not brewed this beer yet but i am considering it at some point. I live in MA and weed has been decriminalized here for a while now, (anything under a ounce will result in a 100$ ticket). So first of all we gotta debunk some myths and decide what you want the beer to be. Some people would prefer a beer with the flavor of the 'hop substitue' and other people might want the beer to work simalar to a brownie. In the recipe I am going to describe, i am going for both as well as aroma. There are 2 ways that will actually get thc into the beer.. either making a tintcture and adding it at bottling or kegging time or freeze distilling your beer to a high enough abv to extract thc. im gonna concentrate on the tintcture method for now. So...

Facts..

Thc is not water soluble and its not boiling water soluble either.
The flavors from the herb that you want are aromatic.. boiling will just add a bitter/grassy taste.
Using buds is not necessary! Use stems dummy! Save stems of high grade herb for months or if you live in a state that allows u to grow then use leaves and trimmings to make ur tintcure.
Dry hemping will add some flavor and a considerable amount of aroma.
Beer is not strong enough to utilize thc from dryhemping alone.

So with that said.. now we should select a style of beer that would mix well with the flavor of well grown herb. I have decided on a dipa. The heavily hopped double ipa will pair perfectly with the aromatic fruity/spicy flavor profile of the cannibis.

Choosing your weed... I wouldnt skimp on quality here. Who wants brick weed schwag in there homebrew... Nobody.

So you can find recipes for making tintcure with a quick google search basicly look for a iso hash recipe and substitute 190 proof grain alcohol for the iso. Anyways im gonna sum up the process here.

First take your stems and trimmings and dry them thoroughly for legal reasons i will be making a 5 gallon batch of beer but only adding the special ingredient to a growelers worth. U can create a 5 gallon batch from this recipe by doing some math.
So for this small batch i will only be using 1/4 ounce of plant matter. 2 grams for dry hemping and 5gs for the tintcure. Once your herb is as dry as its gonna get, you have to keif it. Break up the material lightly and sift on a silk screen or in a fine strainer. Keif lightly bcuz we are only interestin in collecting loose thc on the surface. Save keif for later addition. Now you must soak the herb in water for 3-4 days. This will leach out tannins and remove the grassy/bitter taste from the plant. Now let the whole 1/4 dry again for another 3-4 days. Now measure 2gs and bag it and freeze it. This will be your dry hemping material. With the other 5 gs you now have to soak it in grain alcohol for a week or two. Just enough booze to cover the herb in a small.glass bottle. Shake the bottle daily.and leave in a dark room temp area. While the booze is doing its thing you can begin to brew your beer.. i have my own dipa recipe i will use and u can find recipes online.

Dry hemping
Once its time for your beer to be racked and placed into the secondary fermenter it is time to dry hemp. I will be using a 5 gallon glass carboy as the secondary fermentor and syphoning a 6packs worth into my groweler for herb treatment. Dry hemp in a sterilized moslin bag for 2 weeks while secondary fementation continues.

So now we have a beer that smells heavenly but will have little or no thc in it. Time to filter the plant matter out of the everclear and add it to the beers as u bottle it. If you used to much grain alcohol or made a bigger batch then you may be worried about adding such a large amount of alcohol to your beer.. well you should be. High abv can kill yeast and prevent the beer from carbonating. So what you can do is pour the tintcure onto a glass dish and evaporate some of the alcohol out. This may take.a few hours and check on it frequently. (do not place glass dish in the oven to speen process) you can blow up your house that way. So now its time bottle. Remember that keif.from b4? Now its time to.mix it.into the tintcure this will improve the thc content and add flavor to the bottles. Add tintcure to bottles evenly and fill bottles as you normaly would.

Alright i wrote this on a cellphone and i am sorry for spelling/grammar. I could go into more detail but im sick of writting. You get the idea... Did i miss anything?

I could go into more detail but im sick of writting. You get the idea... Did i miss anything?

You might have missed the fact that the site owners dont appreciate people discussing illegal activities.

Nice first post...

If you can get ticket, then it's still illegal. Even if it's "decriminalized" locally, it's still illegal federally.

In either case, read the forum rules before posting. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back