Specialty grains pre-milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The writing on the box shows your specialty grains are pre-mixed, and I would fully expect them to be in a bag, milled and ready to use.

It will be pre-milled. As long as you are doing extract, I wouldn't worry about a mill. Most of your fermentables are going to come from your extract, and the specialty grains mostly just provide different flavors and textures.

Once you go to all-grain, then you might need a mill if you need to bump your efficiency. For now, don't sweat it, the factory crush is fine for extract batches.

As a side note, when you order or buy grains/specialty grains you can order them milled or unmilled. Be sure to ask for what you want in case you don't have a mill yet.

B

As a side note, when you order or buy grains/specialty grains you can order them milled or unmilled. Be sure to ask for what you want in case you don't have a mill yet.

B

Extract kits typically don't give you this option. The specialty grains with extract kits are ALWAYS milled, to my knowledge.

You would only have the option if you ordered them separately without the extract kit.

Extract kits typically don't give you this option. The specialty grains with extract kits are ALWAYS milled, to my knowledge.

You would only have the option if you ordered them separately without the extract kit.

Not necessarily. Some of the online HBS will give you the option. Just ask for them to be milled in the "comments" area. Most of the better online stores make up these kits fresh without premixing so they need to know your preferences!

Back