One mash 2 brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
So has any one here done one mash and 2 boils with differant hop scheduals? You always hear about one brew and 2 differant yeast but just wondering if any one has done 2 boils with differant hops same yeast and compared.

Yeah there's no real reason you couldn't Like if you did a 10 gallon mash and split the wort up equally. I think the issue is that most of us don't have two bks or burners, or the ability to mash twice as much as we normally boil. We'd end up just making two separate batches.

I understand the equipment requirements, I was just wondering if any has done this just to compare hops. Maybe like a double SMASH but boiling with 2 differant hops. Just something I was considering to get a better understanding of hop flavors and profiles

I've thought about doing the same thing. Right now I'm in the process of collecting some one gallon containers to use as fermenters.

I figure It'll be kind of a PITA on brew day. But, It should be a good learning experience to help me understand the individual characteristics of different hops.

Besides, I've got enough beer in the "pipeline" now to last me for the next four months. Since I need to feed this addiction I may as well brew some small experimental batches.

Good Luck. And If you try it, let us know what you learn.

Very similar to partigyle, making two separate batches of beer from a single mash. Generally a big beer is made from the first runnings of the mash, and a small beer is made from the sparge runnings of the mash.

Doing a traditional mash and sparge, then splitting for separate SMaSH recipes... that's just getting good efficiency from your time. Brilliant! Plus you'll get a great parallel tasting with almost everything else the same and the beers side by side.

Conroe,
Although I like your idea, it's defeating the purpose of the experiment to see how different hops effect the out come. But you could do what you said and just make 2 different styles from the same "BASE" mash. you could just steep your other specialty grains in a separate pot and when you split your mash just add in the liquid extract, actually not a bad idea when trying to do allot in a little time. I personally like brewing allot in a weekend. Last time I brewed made an imperial stout Friday night. and a American Amber Saturday morning. I saved the last running from both batches boiled them down to concentrate and made a braggot. So 13 gallons of beverage in about 12-15 hours.

Back