Was drinking first mead (jaom, 13%) decided to make some more. .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I decided to make a melomel using blueberries in the primary and secondary. I was at Sam's Club and picked up a 3 pound bag of frozen blueberries.

I didn't have a campden tablet handy so I soaked half the bag in Starsan for 10 minutes (while frozen) then placed in strainer and rinsed for 2-3 minutes with hot water to thaw.

I used 3 pounds of Mrs. Crockets/Sam's club honey. I rehydrated a pack of Lalvin D-47 yeast put it all together with about 3 inches headspace in my 1 gal jug. I also added 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer, and ~1/8 tsp grape tannin.

The SG was 1.119, stubrew's calculator says this will end up 15.9%ABV

It's starting to ferment and some foam is starting to come out of the airlock. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Any thoughts? Did I screw up with the starsan? Will the D-47 poop out on me?

Thanks for helping a new guy. You guys and gals rock :rockin:

I'm thinking you've got a 50-50 chance that D-47 is going to make it to 14+ %. It likes to poop on me at 12%...I haven't figured out why...but it does.
You don't have Nutrient, but you did add the energizer, and there may be enough nutrient in the berries to make it go. If it ends up reallllly sweet, you could re-pitch, but I'm thinking that it's likely going to be pleasantly sweet...and you'll just leave it.

I'm also thinking you're gonna find your airlock on the counter in the morning.

Good Luck...Keep us informed.

I've got a question about energizer/nutrient.

What I put into the must is calld "Yeast Energizer: Nutrient Booster" by LD Carlson. It has DAP, Yeast Hulls, magnesium sulfate, anv Vitamin B complex.

Is this the same thing as adding both Energizer and Nutrients?

Thanks

No, Thats just an energizer. Its what I have. The nutrient is Ammonium phosphate and Urea. At least the one from L.C. Carlson. Id throw in another 1/2 teaspoon energizer since you do not have any nutrient. You should be ok. I agree that D-47 tends to poop out at 12%. Give it time and see what happens.

I found it interesting that two forum members found D-47 yeast tended to quit around 12% ABV, as I didn't recall a similar experience. So I checked my records and found the following D-47 fermentation information:
  • 2006: D-47 used on Schramm's Fall's Bounty Cyser: OG 1.107, ABV 14.6%
  • 2007: D-47 used by 4 traditional mead group brewers: OG 1.130-1.134, all ABVs >15.0%
I wonder why the 2-3% difference in these experiences? :confused:

I read that staggering the yeast nutrient and energizer additions can help...

Back