using red currants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Anyone here have much experience with em? I found a nice recipe calling for black currants on this forum but nothing for reds. I believe the blacks are more tart than the reds but am not sure. I have been using reds for about 3 years in a beer recipe of mine, but this will be my first try at a wine using em.

Unless anyone has any better imput I will use the black currant recipe and modify on the fly based on sugar content. but figure all else is the same.

lol. ok then it appears that im james t kirk here in the red currant dept. just pressed 17lb 2day. that gave me 1.5g of just juice. sg on that juice was 1.030(I know that is really irrelivant as this will change from year to year location etc) not much but it is a starting point. added enough sugar to get to 1.095. other than being super sweet(lol all that sugar) the berry flavor came through nicely. on k-med for now cant w8 to add yeast(using montrachet as i had this on hand) and sample after a week of fermentation.

for me the reds are far more tart than the blacks and i'm surprised they were even 1.030. i love them and would like to hear how it comes out. i have used them to 'tarten' things that needed acidity but never on their own

all of my experience b4 now is in beer so in typical fashion i taste on ever step. must (lol almost said wort) was very sweet from the sugar added but the flavor of the reds really pulled through cant w8 to add yeast 2morrow.

I have a red currant wine that I am working on finishing right now, and have had others from family. They are excellent.

In my experience the reds are far more tart than the black currants. Make sure you hold off on any acid additions until you are finishing it.

ok. unfortunately i made everything yesterday i have 1 tsp of acid blend in it. hopefully it will be fine.

gravity at 1.030 put it into secondaries today. wow im loving this so far cant wait to see how it is finished.

Latest posts

Back