fermentation chamber ambient temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I know that the best case scenario is to ferment a single batch at a time and have the temp probe in contact with the carboy or bucket. However IF you were to build a room to ferment several batches at a time ( just ales) what would the ideal ambient temp be? I am debating with myself on building a ferment room or just buying a chest freezer.

Well, the question really is "How low can you go?". 62F ambient sounds fantastic to me because they could rise slightly and still be quite cool.

But it depends of course on what ales you wanna do and what yeasts you're fermenting with. But a ferm room would be awesome, so good luck to ya and keep us posted!

Cheers

Well, the question really is "How low can you go?". 62F ambient sounds fantastic to me because they could rise slightly and still be quite cool.

But it depends of course on what ales you wanna do and what yeasts you're fermenting with. But a ferm room would be awesome, so good luck to ya and keep us posted!

Cheers

My normal yeasts are s-05...s-04 and notty.

Low 60's I think is about right for most ales. Saisons and sometimes heffs though are different and actually require a much higher fermentation temp of about 75. Man... I would love to have a room to ferment in, all I have is my basement, at a cool 65.

Low 60's I think is about right for most ales. Saisons and sometimes heffs though are different and actually require a much higher fermentation temp of about 75. Man... I would love to have a room to ferment in, all I have is my basement, at a cool 65.

don't be too envious lol.. we are talking about a 6x8 or 8x8 area is all.

I dont believe taping the probe is the best way to go as you will get a wort temp swing by at least a degree. I know that this is a common belief in this forum and Im not sure why. I think some pro brewer does it therefore it must be right. You must use another thermometer to monitor the carboy temp and adjust. And I think 60-64 is a safe ambient if you dont know what your wort temp is. For most lower gravity beers that is.

Oh and dont get a chest freezer, Think about lifting a full carboy in and out of that sucker. They also have problems with humidity. just my 2C

I use a chest freezer and find it to work very well, especially in terms of maximizing use of space. One does have to be careful with lifting carboys, etc. I really like it.

I'd go low 60's for ambient, however I tape my probe to the side of my fermenters and insulate it with bubble wrap. It works well for me...

Back