The two-three story high brew kit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I was at my local brew shop this morning and a couple of "old timers" were sampling wine. They asked what I was brewing and we got into a conversation. Both were old farmers (maybe in their 70s or 80s) and they were telling those in the shop about brewing corn mash. In the fall they would get three glass carboys and stuff cheese-cloth in the ends. One would go at the bottom of the Silo, one in the middle and one nearer the top. The seepage from the corn would fill the bottles and by springtime they had some very potent alcohol - the bottom one being the most potent, the one on top the least. I didn't know if they were BS-ing me or not, but it didn't seem like it. I never heard of that before. Thought it was pretty cool.

No, they are telling you the truth. Silage is wacked up corn, stalks and all, that has fermented a bit. This increases the protein content and some alcohol is given off. The heat generated can also prevent the silage from freezing in the winter. If it is cold enough outside, you can condense the alcohol.

I've seen tractors that could burn the stuff, but I've never met anyone who admitted to drinking it.

david_42 said:
I've seen tractors that could burn the stuff

wow that's pretty cool...

why wouldn't you put all 3 carboys at the bottom and have a roughly equal ABV...maybe they wouldn't fit? Shows how much I know about silos...my family was a ranching family..

couldn't they take it to one of they're buddies with a....you know...REALLY GOOD WATER PURIFIER?

I'd rather do that than drink it straight...

I forgot to mention. They said that they strained it through bread before they drank it.

Back