New to Kegging - Keg type question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnapierala

Reaction score
I have a keg\ fridge setup already and have been starting to get really interested in doing some home brews in a keg (im not a huge fan of bottling all the time). My question is can i use a keg with a standard type of tap on it like you get when you buy a keg of Bud or Miller or does everyone use the Soda style kegs? Sorry for the lack of terminology.

Well, the type of equipment you need to fill a standard Sankey keg will cost you a pretty bit of cash. Soda kegs, on the other hand, have cheap attachments, removable lids, and are very readily available at reasonable costs. Hence, almost everyone uses soda kegs.

Sankey kegs are a pain to clean without special equipment.

Soda/Cornies are also just the right size for a standard 5 gallon batch and you can fit a bunch of them in a relatively small fridge or freezer.

If you want to retain the ability to put a commercial Sankey keg on tap, the easiest thing to do is put quick disconnects in the existing lines & make adapters for the cornies.

ok. thanks guys. Ill look for some soda kegs. My stepfather inlaw works at a scrap yard so that may come in handy...

Back