Any Last minute advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
I am about to start my first partial mash....

It is an APA.

Here is the recipe: http://www.ir.org/Brewery/LibertyAle.html

I have my turkey fryer with a 7gal pot all set up. My starter is bubbling away everything else is being sanitized and I am using a grain bag.

I plan to steep the grain 40 minutes in 3 gallons of water.

One Question. I don't have a chiller, should I go ahead and boil the LME in the same 3 gallons and then add boiled, cooled water to get 5 gallon so that the wort will cool faster or should I just add all the water and boil it all accepting the slower cool-down time?

I do have a couple sanitized frozen 2 liter bottles that I could drop in the wort to help chill it but I don't know if that is good practice.

I haven't brewed in 10 or 12 years and then it was just mead and extract only brewing.

No homebrews so I can't RDWHAHB but I can and will add to my bottling stocks while brewing.

dantodd said:
One Question. I don't have a chiller, should I go ahead and boil the LME in the same 3 gallons and then add boiled, cooled water to get 5 gallon so that the wort will cool faster or should I just add all the water and boil it all accepting the slower cool-down time?

that's what I would do without a chiller. getting 5+ gallons down to pitching temp would take a really long time.

Good luck and have fun. :mug:

well, it's in the primary. Everything went well... sort of.

I screwed up the hopping but caught the error immediatel. This meant I was able to simply adjust my recipe by skipping one of my other hoppings. Annoying but having caught it I was able to keep the profile similar to planned. Also, my final SG (if I measured it properly) is 1.052 rather than the 1.058 calculated. This should give me about 5.0 - 5.2 ABV.

I'm not really sure about the OG though. I don't have a brewing hydrometer. I used my (sanitized) aquarium hydrometer. At first I tried to use the aquarium refractometer but that was REALLY off so I floated my little hydro and came up with 1.052 corrected.

I updated the recipe on the website to reflect the measured OG and new hopping.

Back