Ale with a whiskey-like graininess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I recently made a Rye pale ale that has a very whiskey-like graininess that I have never tasted in a beer before. It tastes quite alcoholic too. I used 11# of 2 row and a full 2# of rye along with 12oz of crystal 60. Fermented with White labs dry English ale yeast #007 and well hopped all with centennial too, this is a very complex and flavorful beer. At about 7% ABV this beer packs a punch. Have you had any experience with similar whiskey flavor in a beer?

He hottness in your beer (alcohol flavor) comes from fermenting too hot. The whisky flavor I'm assuming might be your interpretation of the rye. I get a whisky flavor in anything that I oak. Did you oak this beer?

Greetings,

Was wondering if the 'whiskey' flavors are due to the rye malt, plus the Dry English Ale yeast? That yeast is supposed to be a highly attenuative strain, leaving less residual malt sweetness ... thus, exposing more of the alcohol and rye flavors..

I also read that besides too high a fermentation tempature, high amounts of fusal alcohols can be produced from too much yeast and/or sitting on the trub too long...

Hopefully, a little aging will mellow it out and make a good beer! :mug:

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Back