Northern's Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
Brewed Northern's double IPA this evening. Finished up just a bit ago. Was drinking beer with a friend for the whole thing.. Turned the flame off and forgot to add the 2oz of hops at flame out.. Started cooling and realized when it got about to 120°. It was a brew you had to pay attention with, but we drank beer while doing it so things were off on the schedule a bit.

Gravity was much higher than the kit specified, not sure why that was... Brought the overall finished volume up to about 5.5 gallons. Hopefully it will be tasty.. I will let you know how it turned out once it has had time to age for a few months. Love the homebrew!!

I've definitely lost track of schedule myself, and even though I'm a little OCD and I always think I've screwed it up it always ends up pretty good. I'm pretty sure you have a good brew going on.

Other than the OG being much higher than the kit said it should be, I see no problems...

Kit said 1.083, but my hydrometer said 1.120.. Quite a bit higher.. Not sure why...

It is really pumping out some CO2.. Nearly had an issue last night when the kraussen started coming up into the airlock. It was making a hissing sound.. Clean it out and no porblems since... Moved it to a cooler part in the basement. Hopefully she doesn't blow :)

get a blowoff tube.. (you can normally rig one with a 3 piece airlock and a siphon tube)
as soon as the hops come up in krausen you may also need to break the bottom piece of your airlock off (open the bottom that goes in the fermenter) it may be doing this for a while

This is a great recipe. A friend had it on tap until last month and just brewed it again this weekend. Very tasty. I'm going to try the AG version for one of my next few brews.

Great glad to know someone has brewed it and likes it!! Whoot..

Can't wait to try it in about 3 months :) If I can wait that long

Yeah, waiting is always difficult. I was going to brew the Stone IPA Clone that BYO had several issues ago this last weekend, but decided I would end up kegging it earlier than I wanted. So I brewed 10 G of EdWort's Pale Ale to fill up the pipeline with something that won't take as long to condition and I'll brew the Stone IPA or this one in 2-3 weeks.

Sounds yummy.. This Double is a beast.. Still bubbling away.. Slowing down a bit, but still going....

brewed NB's Double IPA three weeks ago. My first very active (requiring a blowoff) fermentation. Had trouble keeping the temps down during the first 3 days of fermentation, it got up to 80 in the first few hours but i did get it back down with a wet towel and fan for the next few days until temps settled to the low 60's.

I am hoping to transfer this to my secondary this weekend if fermentation is complete, but if anyone has some incite into how long I should leave it in the secondary and when to add the dry hops and how long i should leave those hops in there before bottling it would be very helpful. The NB instructions aren't very detailed on that and this will be my first time dry hopping.

I still have a week to go before putting into secondary. I am going to add the hops right at the start of secondary and let it set there for two - three weeks then bottle.

Just bottled a Yeti clone last night. Sure was tasty even prior to carb!!

Latest posts

Back