Help me understand the beer flavor wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
flavorwheel.gif

So, is it ok for a beer to have any flavor on here? It's like the color wheel right? I can't imagine cat urine taste being pleasureable. Or is it like a beer can taste like that in a good or a bad way? Does having flavors balanced on the wheel make for a good beer?

I don't know...but I'm dizzy now.

Never seen this thing. I'm not sure I'd try to use a wheel to achieve a particular beer profile.

I honestly don't know the purpose of this thing.

I've been looking at this thing for a couple of minutes now and for the life of me I can't figure out what its purpose is either.

Leave it to BM to take someones life work and reduce it to tastes great...less filling

lol

The flavor will was not designed to develop beer profiles. It's intended to assist in describing the taste and odor of beers as they are consumed. These are merely descriptors for the finished beer itself.
Soem tastes are desirable, some are not, some are indicitavie of the beer style.
The wheel is especially helpful in determining off-flavors in beer.

Almost everything on the wheel are off-flavors. Looks like a badly mis-informed wino's attempt to reproduce the equally useless, wine wheel, but without using most of the positive properties of beer.

It's intended to assist in describing the taste and odor of beers as they are consumed. These are merely descriptors for the finished beer itself.

Then why put them in a f*ckin' wheel that suggests some sort of multilateral logic like complimentary colours, grrrr! Just make another damn list in straight line ffs!

Real Men of Genius... Mr. Brewing Techniques beer-wheel maker-upper guy...

...you made a wheel that needs to be read upside down by people while drinking beer...

In a singing voice:
my arms are too tired from spinning my monitor around while reading that thing!

...you use the word "worty" to describe a taste profile of beer...

and so forth...

...you made a wheel that needs to be read upside down by people while drinking beer...

In a singing voice:

...you use the word "worty" to describe a taste profile of beer...

and so forth...

..and what's up with those "taste" & "odor" arrows!!!?!!:confused:

Latest posts

Back