Cam locks vs quick disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
im looking at bargain fittings to get either cam locks or quick disconnects and was wondering if one was better than the other, why?

This has been hashed out quite a bit if you take the time to search, but in brief, cam locks are cheaper, require two handed operation and the ones with built in barbs have a small ID that may restrict flow.

QD's can be operated with one hand (if you can take the heat!) and have a lower profile but are more expensive.

I think most end up choosing the cam locks because they are cheaper.

I got my QD's from www.watercannon.com they were a good bit less expensive than anywhere else I could find them. I paired them with 5/8 brass barb fittings for wide open flow and they work great at a reasonable price.

Adam

I've never used QD's, but I can't find any problems with my camlocks. Other than ordering camlocks with the 1/2" barbs. If you don't do that, then you're golden.

I followed Bobby_M's advice & ground the threads off the 1/2" MPT connectors. Use a clamp to secure the silicone tubing. Works great & doesn't have the flow restriction of the barbed threads.

Latest posts

Back