Who cleans their March Pump and hose before boil recirc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I have a 3 keggle single tier system and use a single march pump to transfer and recirc the mash. The last 15 minutes of the boil I recirc to sanitize the hoses and pump. I clean my pump and tubing after every brew day but I am wondering, is it advisable to clean and sanitize the pump and tubing after it has been used for the mash, before using them to recirc the boil? Should I be worried about contamination from the pump and lines during the boil recirculation?

I have a 3 keggle single tier system and use a single march pump to transfer and recirc the mash. The last 15 minutes of the boil I recirc to sanitize the hoses and pump. I clean my pump and tubing after every brew day but I am wondering, is it advisable to clean and sanitize the pump and tubing after it has been used for the mash, before using them to recirc the boil? Should I be worried about contamination from the pump and lines during the boil recirculation?

I clean all my hoses and pump heads by rinsing with warm water at the end of a brew day, but I do not sanitize anything. As long as there is no mold or crap growing in your stuff, the boil will take care of any bugs or nastys in your beer. Running your pump for the last 10 minutes of the boil is a perfect way to sanitize before whirlpool/chill/transfer to fermenter.

Ya gotta figure that your grain is COVERED in lacto, possibly wild yeast, other bacteria...you dont sanitize THAT before it goes into the mash...let the boil take care of all that stuff.

I run cleaner like a pbw through the herms system after the mashtun is clean of grist, drain, rinse, drain coil, all lines, and pump after brewing. sponge dry mashtun, hlt.

Next brew day fill the hlt with filtered water, and add enough filtered water in the mashtun to purge the air in the pump and system.

Heat the hlt water, circulate the mashtun water until it reaches 170*f and recirculate. drain the mashtun to fix dead space level so it is ready for measured strike water. brewing begins.

I just flush everything with hot water after i brew, and then again right before i brew the next time. works fine.

Latest posts

Back