Plastic pop bottles safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone tried bottling in plastic pop bottles? I have .710 L / 24 fl oz Coke bottles which are a nice size. They will be stored in a dark place and covered so light is not an issue.

Any comments are appreciated.
This is what they look like....

lg_ko_coke_bottle%5B1%5D.jpg

I've bottled several batches in plastic bottles and they worked out great. I bottled in those so that I wouldn't worry about bringing glass bottles home from parties. ;)

+1 on other responses.

They work great. Just check to make sure the caps are on tight. I had one that became loose in the fridge and lost the fizz. Still drinkable tho.

The one problem is filling them as they are light when empty.

+1 on other responses.

They work great. Just check to make sure the caps are on tight. I had one that became loose in the fridge and lost the fizz. Still drinkable tho.

The one problem is filling them as they are light when empty.

Right, but there's halve the bottle to do too since these are about the size of 2 regular glass bottles.
I know they will fill up a big glass nicely thow :)

BTW I'm all for supporting my local home brew supplier, but I wanted to buy the plastic brown bottles that are made for this very purpose and he only has the 1 liter bottles. They seem a little too big for me and it costs $25 for 24 of them to make a batch!!!
Seems a little pricey to me.

I have kids and they drink Coke in these bottles, and they go straight to the recycling bin afterwords... not anymore :mug:

BTW I'm all for supporting my local home brew supplier, but I wanted to buy the plastic brown bottles that are made for this very purpose and he only has the 1 liter bottles. They seem a little too big for me and it costs $25 for 24 of them to make a batch!!!
Seems a little pricey to me.

I have kids and they drink Coke in these bottles, and they go straight to the recycling bin afterwords... not anymore :mug:

The suppliers my LHBS uses don't even list the 1L PET bottles anymore, all we can get are the 500ml. I don't recall the price though.

Latest posts

Back