Smoked Porter Recipe? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this beer! The smoke character is perfect and it's my best porter to date, without question. I've been encouraged to enter this beer in a competition, so the question of category comes to mind. Would this be better represented in as a brown porter or a smoked beer? :confused:

I love this beer! The smoke character is perfect and it's my best porter to date, without question. I've been encouraged to enter this beer in a competition, so the question of category comes to mind. Would this be better represented in as a brown porter or a smoked beer? :confused:

Absolutely. I just got the results back from our Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition. There were 365 entries and this event was the final qualifying event for the Eleventh Annual Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing.

Among a few of my other beers that placed, this Loon Lake Smoked Porter took 3rd in Category #22. I'm anxious to get the score sheets back so I can figure out how to tweak it.

Alright, so I brewed this beast last Monday. I decided to drop the smoked malt down to 4lbs and increase the munich to 4lbs. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly the same. After five days I crash cooled in my primary for three days and then racked to a keg today. I grabbed a quarter pint to see how it was developing. Took a sip and filled the rest of the class even though there isn't an ounce of carbonation yet. I am going to have to lock my tap so I don't try to drink it all. I love the mouth feel and the smoke profile is just amazing. Reminds me of sitting in front of the camp fire on a cold winter night. Well done!!!

...I am going to have to lock my tap so I don't try to drink it all. I love the mouth feel and the smoke profile is just amazing. Reminds me of sitting in front of the camp fire on a cold winter night. Well done!!!

It's snow, snow and more snow in the forecast so it's a roaring fire and a few pints of Loon Lake for me tonight. :D

Keep us posted as the beer develops.

I brewed this yesterday with .5 lb of brown malt. The smell was amazing, and it came out a rich chocolate brown. I used Wyeast 1098; I can't wait for this to finish!

BTW, the LHBS gave me crazy looks when I purchased 5lbs of smoked malt. It was fun to go back yesterday and tell them it came out great. They were talking smack that it would be way over the top smokey...

BTW, the LHBS gave me crazy looks when I purchased 5lbs of smoked malt. It was fun to go back yesterday and tell them it came out great. They were talking smack that it would be way over the top smokey...

That's alright.

They probably peed their pants laughing the first time someone said they want to put coriander in a wheat beer.

I'm about to brew a beer with the these ingredients:
Batch 5.28 gal:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5,51 lb Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (6,0 EBC) Grain 48,26 %
3,31 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (14,0 EBC) Grain 28,96 %
1,10 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC) Grain 9,65 %
0,75 lb Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (850,0 EBC) Grain 6,56 %
0,75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78,8 EBC) Grain 6,56 %
1,23 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2,40 %] (60 min) Hops 8,6 IBU
1,23 oz Fuggles [5,00 %] (60 min) Hops 19,9 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

60 min. 157 deg F.

Do you think this will turn out as a nice and warm Loon Lake Smoked Porter?
What is critical when brewing a beer like this?

They need to STFU

I home smoked the malt for my Rauchbier and it was AWESOME

95% of the grain bill was smoked malt, the rest was just some wheat for head retention and caramunich for color

The smoke will take care of itself. Critical is brewing this true to the porter style...whatever that is.
Looking at a score sheet from a local competition, this didn't work out too well for me. Total 31/50. Here's the Overall Impression.
A good tasting proter that is well brewed, but does not stand out. Smoke flavor is a little too subtle to acheive the balance necessary for this style.
Was expecting this reaction because the smoke flavor had been mellowing over time even with 5lbs of smoked malt in the recipe. Funny thing is that now that I'm getting to the bottom of the keg it is getting stronger again. This has been a fine beer even through all its variations. Definitely be brewing it again.

I'll seriously miss it when it's gone. :(

I know that at least a couple other HBTers entered their Smoked Porters in this competition.
How'd you make out?

Absolutely. I just got the results back from our Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition. There were 365 entries and this event was the final qualifying event for the Eleventh Annual Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing.

Among a few of my other beers that placed, this Loon Lake Smoked Porter took 3rd in Category #22. I'm anxious to get the score sheets back so I can figure out how to tweak it.

Any movement on the scores or the recipe tweaks? Given the popularity of your Black Pearl Porter in our household, I'm interested in getting this going to get me through next winter.

I recently acquired 2lbs of peated malt from Northern Brewer. I'm interested in using it in a Smoked Porter extract recipe. From the proceeding comments, it looks like 2# may not be enough to come through in flavour. My recipe is a version of CraigTube's porter where he used Coopers English Bitter as a base and added malts from there.

Coopers English Bitter
2.75 lbs dark LME
2 lbs peated malt

Steep the malts then boil the LME for 60 minutes, perhaps with some additional hops.

I suppose that if I don't boil the extract I get from the grains I might preserve more of the smoke flavour?

If that's not an option, I could try and get my hands on some two row and smoke a couple of more pounds, but that may prove difficult. We're in something of a brewing wasteland here.

Back