Twangy Flavor in Cider keg... pour a glass... all gone! But returns everytime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I have a cider that has this twangy taste to it and is cloudy.. i backsweetened it with some fresh apple juice and it tastes much better. Now the issue is that the first several oz taste that twangy taste and are cloudy.. after that, delicious.

Why? Could the lines be that dirty??? Any other suggestions?

The hard cider and juice wouldn't separate in the keg due to gravity differences would they??

The first couple ounces that you pull from the keg, or the first couple ounces that you taste from a glass (the rest of which is good)? If it's the former, it sounds like a line problem. Is there visible sediment? The alcohol and the juice won't separate.

i have gotten to the point that i want to taste it before letting others... so i pour a few oz, taste and repeat till gone... so if so you think lines? Could that cause them to be cloudy too?

i have gotten to the point that i want to taste it before letting others... so i pour a few oz, taste and repeat till gone... so if so you think lines? Could that cause them to be cloudy too?

Didn't catch the cloudy before. Sounds like you're just picking up sediment of some type. Did you pasteurize or otherwise inhibit the yeast before you backsweetened?

i sorbated it like one minute before adding the gallon of juice to backsweeten it.

Back