RubberMaid says "NO"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 batches SATURDAY!!!!!

SWMBO let go of $350 for kegs and brew supplies. 3 kegs and all the trimmings (up to picnic taps) and enough for 6 batches picked up today....2 epic stouts, 2 SWMBO slayer pale ales, enough for my slightly late pumpkin seed ale, and my red tick caramel amber.

So....sanitizing with hot wort saturday as the stout and SWMBO dough in.:mug:

I just microwaved my dinner in plastic and then smoked a cigarette. After several beers and watching the Giants win the world series!!!!!!!!!!! YEah!!!! GO GIANTS!

:tank:

+1 2012, everyone knows that the Mayans knew what was up (and they didn't brew in plastic either :rolleyes:). Looks like we got our answer. Plastic FTL.

:tank: <- the guy on the right most def. mashes in plastic.

Cheezy - pumpkin seed ale, you're supposed to toast the pumpkin seeds and brew with the pumpkin!! J/k, is that really what you did, mash pumpkin seeds? Crazy....

Lol, not for fermentables funk, just for roasty nuttyness and the cinnamon I roast them in.

To the OP, if you don't feel comfortable using plastics...don't! But don't come on a forum to try and open our eyes to a widespread revelation without some support. If you want some statistical analysis to help make your decision easier or your argument valid, then pay to get it done! It isn't the current users of plastic that need to prove their legitimacy to you, its you making a claim against a accepted piece of brewing culture!

A) It's not your forum. You - like myself - are not even yet a paying member. So it's not your place to tell anyone what to post & what not to.

B) I'd say Rubbermaid's own statements as the the suitability of their products for brewing would fit under the 'some support' argument.

C) The OP isn't asking you or anyone else to prove anything. He presented information, made statements as to his/her own comfort level, and that's about it. Not once was it ever suggested you do anything different. Not once did the OP insult anyone. Wish I could say the same for the rest of you.

D) A piece of 'brewing culture'?? Are you kidding me? Culture? Lol.
IT'S A COOLER.

The only motive you could have in starting this thread is argument...

Again - the OP seems to be one of the few who ISN'T arguing or being abrasive.
You might want to take notes so that next time you can see the difference.

HOWEVER, I respect the fact that you went out and tried to learn for yourself to formulate you own decision. Just when making a claim against something so widely used, people are going to need a little more evidence!

So you think no-one should post an opinion, idea, or hypothesis on the internet until the subject has been exhaustively researched leading to incontrovertible scientific conclusions??? I'll remember that the next time I'm reading one of your posts.
BTW - How does the reduced gravity on your planet affect the brewing process?

B) Rubermaid is only covering their ass; they don't even know the answer. They are in the business of making money. Not providing people with info.

D) I'd say its a pretty damn huge part of homebrewing culture, a cooler, that is.

A and C) I don't care about your rants; I mean in A you contradict yourself, which is quite funny

To RubberMaid:

"I am wondering what type of plastic your
water coolers are made from. I am looking for information on storing 170
deg water in them and the possibility of chemical leaching from the
plastic. Possibly a MSDS sheet as well. Thank you. Hex"

From RubberMaid:

"Thank you for your interest in Rubbermaid, and for taking the time to
contact us regarding your product. We appreciate loyal consumers like
you.

Our water jugs are only made for drinking; they are also only made for
cold fluids nothing hot. If you put hot fluids in them they will deform
or it can ruin the lining of the cooler.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your concern.

Sincerely,

Beth First

Rubbermaid

Consumer Service Representative

1-888-895-2110

A and C) I don't care about your rants; I mean in A you contradict yourself, which is quite funny

I'm not suprised you find it funny. You seem to be the type that's easily amused.

Want to hear another knee-slapper? I never contradicted myself.

Reading is fun-damental.

To RubberMaid:

From RubberMaid:

you.

Sincerely,

Beth First

Rubbermaid

1-888-895-2110

Well, it's truly disappointing they won't reply with an honest answer concerning the material the inner liner is made of.

To RubberMaid:

From RubberMaid:

you.

Sincerely,

Beth First

Rubbermaid

1-888-895-2110

That still doesn't prove a thing. You're extrapolating "leeching out bad ****"
from "deforming" with no evidence to support that at all.

But, whatever. This thread would be boring if it wasn't for the personal attacks.

Are you telling me that the guy named "tunoffun" is NOT easily amused too?

I have never deformed my plastic liner, but I have also never poured boiling water into my cooler either.

That still doesn't prove a thing. You're extrapolating "leeching out bad ****"
from "deforming" with no evidence to support that at all.

But, whatever. This thread would be boring if it wasn't for the personal attacks.

Unreal. The mental gymnastics posters are making here to justify their misplaced aggression are stunning.

All he did was quote rubbermaid directly. He didn't write a single word of his own opinion. He simply did what he promised, which was to post rubbermaid's response. Verbatim.

If I ever need to form an improptu lynch mob, I'll know where to come looking for torch carriers.

Unreal. The mental gymnastics posters are making here to justify their misplaced aggression are stunning.

All he did was quote rubbermaid directly. He didn't write a single word of his own opinion. He simply did what he promised, which was to post rubbermaid's response. Verbatim.

If I ever need to form an improptu lynch mob, I'll know where to come looking for torch carriers.

I've already got a pitchfork, and I love fire, so fine.

Hex has been the one who's expressed all of these concerns, and I've heard zero evidence of any REASON to be concerned other than Rubbermaid's customer service doesn't think it's a good idea. Nothing else except speculation. So again, whatever.

Personal attacks and snarky comments will NOT be tolerated. I can't believe I have to tell you guys that, for crying out loud!

Hey Yooper - you need one of these:

fingerwave.gif

:D

Well, it's truly disappointing they won't reply with an honest answer concerning the material the inner liner is made of.

Here we go again. When a company uses chemists to design a product, they give them some direction as to how they think the product will, and should be used. Why would they say "come up with a formula for a plastic for a cooler [yes, a COOLER] that will hold COLD liquids, oh and by the way, make it stand up to heat too because homebrewers might want to use it for a mash tun." Somehow I really don't think so. There are already products on the market for holding and dispensing hot liquids, and they are not called "coolers." I really don't think Rubbermaid owes any more of an answer than they are giving, they call it a "cooler" for a reason. That said, it would be nice if they would come out with something that is made for heat. There certainly is a market for it. I also wish they would come up with a plug in cooler that would work with a thermostat when full of water for fermentation temp control, those of us who don't have the space for a chest freezer would find that very useful. Has anyone looked into where the plastic comes from? Could be from Dow chemical.

Here we go again. When a company uses chemists to design a product, they give them some direction as to how they think the product will, and should be used. Why would they say "come up with a formula for a plastic for a cooler [yes, a COOLER] that will hold COLD liquids, oh and by the way, make it stand up to heat too because homebrewers might want to use it for a mash tun." Somehow I really don't think so. There are already products on the market for holding and dispensing hot liquids, and they are not called "coolers." I really don't think Rubbermaid owes any more of an answer than they are giving, they call it a "cooler" for a reason. That said, it would be nice if they would come out with something that is made for heat. There certainly is a market for it. I also wish they would come up with a plug in cooler that would work with a thermostat when full of water for fermentation temp control, those of us who don't have the space for a chest freezer would find that very useful. Has anyone looked into where the plastic comes from? Could be from Dow chemical.

No... but I'll get on that. The source, the source... hmmm.
I guess that would hinge on what kind of plastic it is.
Now where would I find that out. Wait - I know - I'll contact Rubbermaid & ask!

Oh wait, nevermind... I just got talked down to for expecting them to answer that question. Afterall, it's not like they owe me an explanation or anything.

:drunk:

No... but I'll get on that. The source, the source... hmmm.
I guess that would hinge on what kind of plastic it is.
Now where would I find that out. Wait - I know - I'll contact Rubbermaid & ask!

Oh wait, nevermind... I just got talked down to for expecting them to answer that question. Afterall, it's not like they owe me an explanation or anything.

:drunk:

Didn't mean to talk down. I think it sucks that they won't give an answer, but it doesn't suprise me.

I just put in a call to Morebeer asking this same question. My thinking is that since they purchase wholesale and most likely have a decent sized account with Rubbermaid that they may be able to get more of an answer. I won't be suprised if they don't though. They are supposed to call me back. I'll let everyone know.

I made my partial mash tun out of a "Bubba Keg" brand plastic cooler. Their website says "The manufacturer has tested the product with water as hot as boiling water. We do not recommend it to be boiling when you put it in, but the temperature can be that hot." I'm comforted by that. Plus the bubba keg looks like a plastic beer barrel...I likey.

I wonder if the reported warping and cracking is due to putting very hot water into a cold cooler. If the lining heats up suddenly and expands, I can see why it would buckle - that's the only way it can expand, if the body of the cooler is strong enough to stay in one piece and doesn't stretch. Wouldn't it be better to start with warm water, then drain that and put in hotter water, etc., working up to the final desired temperature? I've just recently built a 10 gallon RM cooler MLT and have only tested with hot water - haven't mashed in it yet. I've tried the procedure above and so far have no problems. This is easy for me to do because I heat the water in a kettle and pump it up to my MLT - I can get the water to 120º, pump it into the cooler, turn off the pump and let it drain back through the pump into the kettle (takes a few minutes to drain), continue heating to 140º, fill and drain, and repeat until I reach the final temperature. I'm hoping this more gentle heating will prevent, or at least minimize the warping. Does anyone else do something like this? Does it work?

I've put boiling water into my cooler (Coleman Xtreme) dozens of times with no cracking, although I know others who have had issues. Could be different material on different coolers, could be good luck on my part so far.

Cracking is still a whole separate issue from chemicals leeching due to hot water, though. Under the principal that "simplest answer is usually the right one," I'd wager heavily that Rubbermaid, et al, are recommended against the use of hot water because they don't want any customer complaints about cracked/warped coolers. If they tell you that it's OK to use hot water and your cooler cracks, you're looking to them for a new cooler. That's a much simpler explanation than "they're worried about minute chemical leechings that might occur at temperatures above 120°"

Awesome post.

And for those wanting IRON CLAD proof that heat + plastic = BAD........who wonder why we would even SPECULATE about harmful chemicals from a COOLER when it is used in the exact OPPOSITE manner it is designed for....

Go get a good long drink from the garden hose, and then use the "search function" available on these here interwebs.

Here is an unreputable news company no one has heard of reporting on it.
.http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-01-29-plastic-chemical_N.htm

Personally, I want more estrogen.......

beating_a_dead_horse1.gif

This has gone beyond the level of ridiculousness.....Noone is listenning to each other, those of us who use coolers aren't going to stop, and those of you who are freaked out about it aren't going to change your tune, no matter what we say...so enough, let's all just STFU about this already and go brew how we're f-ing going to brew. You guys can play with your metal pots and zap a gap systems, and we'll use our coolers and this thread can just die....

This isn't even a fun thread to poke fun on anymore.....It's just tired....

I wonder if the reported warping and cracking is due to putting very hot water into a cold cooler. If the lining heats up suddenly and expands, I can see why it would buckle - that's the only way it can expand, if the body of the cooler is strong enough to stay in one piece and doesn't stretch. Wouldn't it be better to start with warm water, then drain that and put in hotter water, etc., working up to the final desired temperature? I've just recently built a 10 gallon RM cooler MLT and have only tested with hot water - haven't mashed in it yet. I've tried the procedure above and so far have no problems. This is easy for me to do because I heat the water in a kettle and pump it up to my MLT - I can get the water to 120º, pump it into the cooler, turn off the pump and let it drain back through the pump into the kettle (takes a few minutes to drain), continue heating to 140º, fill and drain, and repeat until I reach the final temperature. I'm hoping this more gentle heating will prevent, or at least minimize the warping. Does anyone else do something like this? Does it work?

I had one where the liner warped and cracked. I did not gradually heat it and it was on occasion exposed to 180f+ liquid. I got maybe 6 or 8 brews out of it before the crack appeared.

My this was a fun read.
Is it a bad idea to heat my mash water IN my Rubbermaid cooler over my propane burner?

beating_a_dead_horse1.gif

This has gone beyond the level of ridiculousness.....Noone is listenning to each other, those of us who use coolers aren't going to stop, and those of you who are freaked out about it aren't going to change your tune, no matter what we say...so enough, let's all just STFU about this already and go brew how we're f-ing going to brew. You guys can play with your metal pots and zap a gap systems, and we'll use our coolers and this thread can just die....

This isn't even a fun thread to poke fun on anymore.....It's just tired....

Well put.

Also, I'm taking your dead horse .gif

We order from Rubbermaid, I'll try and remember to call them in the morning

The guy wondered (OP) if there was any reason to worry.

Rather than an "I don't" or "Not IMHO", (which would have been OK) the **** storm of brainwashed "I been doin it and I ain't dead" cooler mashers deserved the resulting rash of quotes from this and that source, saying that plastic + heat = BAD.

Like anything, noone likes to think that what they have been doing is wrong, but if noone ever questioned anything, we wouldn't even be brewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back