harvest yeast from a bottle of professional brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
So i wanna get my hands on some Pacman yeast but as you know it isnt sold anymore. Im curious if it would be possible to harvest yeast out of a beer which has already been produced? If this works it seems like it could be used with all different types of beers which are comercially produced as well as something like the Sam Adams Utopias which uses a proprietary yeast strain to get up to 27%!

Any Thoughts?

With some beers this is possible to harvest the yeast from them. But with some others, they use a differnt yeast to bottle condition there beers. So you might have a nice hefe yeast with the beer but nothing but s-04 or something as the priming yeast.

Just make sure it's not a filtered beer. You're pretty much boned if it's filtered.

You can also get a 6 pack of Rogue, drink them and then grow the yeast from what is in the bottle. many people on here have done it.

It can be done. You may need to grow a couple of times though. Make a starter, pitch and then when it is complete, see how much you have. Make a second starter if necessary. You can then wash the yeast and save or use. Good luck. I plan to try and get some Rogue when I am in St. Louis next week. I will be in a hotel for 8 nights, so I think I can kill a couple of 6 packs if I find it there.

I've had great luck with Shakepeare stout (see the pacman video thread) I've got my second flask of it going in my stirplate now.

Most of the Rogue Bombers will mention right on the painted lablel whether or not it's bottle conditioned with Pacman....I know shakespeare stout is, as well as the Hazelnut Stout (first beer by them that I have hated)...

I haven't seen much yeast slurry at the bottom of any of the bombers of Deadguy though....

I wonder what the date of those packs are....Wyeast is NOT listing pacman in their VSS april-June releases...and I've heard from My hbs that Rogue did not pay a licensing fee for it for this year, and that if it was released it would only be available with the brewcraft Deadguy kits...and last week on a couple sites, the deadguy kit was being shipped with another strain.

Superiorbrew posted this a few days back...it sheds a little insight...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=616401&postcount=13

I wonder what the date of those packs are....Wyeast is NOT listing pacman in their VSS april-June releases...and I've heard from My hbs that Rogue did not pay a licensing fee for it for this year, and that if it was released it would only be available with the brewcraft Deadguy kits...and last week on a couple sites, the deadguy kit was being shipped with another strain.

The date on the packs I orderd were made on the 19th of March 2008

Back