What do you consider a Sam Adams Noble Pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbryan

Reaction score
On their description of Noble Pils, Sam Adams says the brew is a "traditional Bohemian pilsner," however they use all five kinds of Noble family hops in the batch. Some basic research I've done on Bohemian pilsner recipes shows that Saaz is typically the only hop used in a traditional Bohemian/Czech pilsner. This made me curious - is Sam Adams wrong, confused, or right to some degree?

While a "pils" can be considered a different beer, Sam Adams still calls it a "traditional Bohemian pilsner."

Thoughts?

Bo Pils / Czech Pils

One of my favorite Sam Adams brews

Edited to add that Boston Lager is hardly a traditional Vienna Lager either IMO...

On their description of Noble Pils, Sam Adams says the brew is a "traditional Bohemian pilsner," however they use all five kinds of Noble family hops in the batch. Some basic research I've done on Bohemian pilsner recipes shows that Saaz is typically the only hop used in a traditional Bohemian/Czech pilsner. This made me curious - is Sam Adams wrong, confused, or right to some degree?

While a "pils" can be considered a different beer, Sam Adams still calls it a "traditional Bohemian pilsner."

Thoughts?

It's a Continental Pils IMO, a hybrid of a Czech and German pils. While Saaz is not necessarily the only hop in Czech pils it is typically the featured variety. It's only marketing after all and what percentage of the public do you think actually knows what a Bohemian Pilsner is? :mug:

Edited to add that Boston Lager is hardly a traditional Vienna Lager either IMO...

Yeah, I would love to know where that got started. I see that description often and you are right, that beer is by no means a Vienna lager. :mug:

Did I hear a call for the Style Police? I'm here! I'll go kick Sam Adams straight in the nards and get this taken care of!

How I imagine the beer style police would look like:

joy.gif

Thanks, all. Was just a fit of curiosity on my behalf - no particular rationale.

Had some for the first time yesterday, and I consider it delicious. I don't know enough to identify the types of hops, so is there one that dominates or is it just the combination that I like?

Simply put I view Noble pils as the tallest midget from a brewery I dislike.

Yes I have had utopias...

Back