1st AG Mash In Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAman

Reaction score
I will be doing my first AG, it is a ESB AG kit purchased from NB. Instructions from NB say slowly add grist to the water in the tun. John Palmer book specifically says add water to grain. Advice on why the difference and which is the preferred method? Thanks T.

I will be doing my first AG, it is a ESB AG kit purchased from NB. Instructions from NB say slowly add grist to the water in the tun. John Palmer book specifically says add water to grain. Advice on why the difference and which is the preferred method? Thanks T.

I like to add the grain to the water. I use a cooler for my MLT, so I preheat it and then add a little bit hotter water than my desired strike temperature. I let it cool to the correct temperature, then add the grain. I usually start with 1/2 the water, then add some of the grain, more water, more grain, etc, stirring well to break up any doughballs.

I also check the mash temp during this time, to ensure I'm going to hit my mash temperature when I'm finished.

Either way works fine. Just make sure you mix the mash really good to break up any dough balls and stabilize the temp throughout the mash.

Either way works. That being said - getting the grains and water in as quickly as possible is key, that way you don't loose any heat, thus avoiding missing your rest temp.

I prefer to put strike water in the MLT until it cools to my desired temp (usually around 164 deg), then add the grain quickly while stirring (having a friend at this stage is helpful, but not critical). Ensure all is well mixed, no dry dough balls, then check temp. If too cold add more hot water. If too hot, add a few ice cubes.

Then sit back and RDWHAHB

Pangea

Either way works fine. Just make sure you mix the mash really good to break up any dough balls and stabilize the temp throughout the mash.

+1 on this. I did not on my 1st AG two weeks ago and I had different temps going on... my efficiency was crap.

Bobby_M's all-grain primer guided me through a great first AG brew. (He recommends adding the grain to the water.)

I hit at least 77% efficiency following these guidelines and using an All Grain kit with the crush from Northern Brewer.

see: All Grain

The biggest reason I go grain to water is so that I can be sure I have a stabilized strike temp in the mash tun. If you go water into grain, you better be pretty confident that you know exactly how much heat your tun is going to steal in the first 5 minutes.

Back