Brewers Best kit help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalston1021

Reaction score
I picked up a Brewers Best Red Ale kit this morning from my local home brew shop and I think the ingredients are wrong. It calls for 1oz of Wlliamette bittering hops and 1oz of Williamette Aroma hops, it looks like I got 2 1 oz bags of aroma hops...will this impact my beer at all if there are no bittering hops and 2 oz of aroma hops in it...?? I'm still a beginner and am anxious to get started but don't want to have to dump a batch of beer if not good. Any advice??

I picked up a Brewers Best Red Ale kit this morning from my local home brew shop and I think the ingredients are wrong. It calls for 1oz of Wlliamette bittering hops and 1oz of Williamette Aroma hops, it looks like I got 2 1 oz bags of aroma hops...will this impact my beer at all if there are no bittering hops and 2 oz of aroma hops in it...?? I'm still a beginner and am anxious to get started but don't want to have to dump a batch of beer if not good. Any advice??

The hops are in separate bags. Use one bag at the bittering addition, and one at the aroma hops addition times.

You got the right hops. What makes it a bittering or aroma hop is when you add it to the boil. The 1 oz you add at 60 minutes is the bittering addition, and the 1 oz you add at 5 minutes is the aroma addition. They are both the same hops, but adding it at the beginning and boiling it for 60 minutes makes it a bittering addition and boiling it for only 5 minutes makes it an aroma addition. These links might explain it better:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html
http://www.babblehomebrewers.com/attachments/article/68/hopusage.pdf - see the illustration on page 2.

The first link (Palmer's How To Brew) will answer almost any question you can think of, though the online version is a little out of date in places.

Good luck on your brew.

There is no difference in the the hops, both are willamettes and should be the same AA rating, just how you use them, the first addition at the beginning of the boil will be bittering the late addition will be flavoring and/or aroma.
I have had Brewers best kit hops remarked as to usage with a black marker.

Latest posts

Back