SG at a glance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
I've been toying with this idea lately but I thought I'd let you guys comment (destroy) on it. Haha kiddin. I need to here from you if there's an obvious reason why this wouldn't work.

6472-hydrometer-sight-glass-connected-fermenter.jpg

The hydrometer would be inserted at the top of the PVC tee that would have a threaded cap. The bottom PVC tee also would have a cap that could be removed to assist in cleaning. The clear section of PVC would be Harvel ClearPVC.

One option i've also considered it a hand pump primer button on the bottom of the bottom tee that could assist in circulating new wort in to the sight tube.

I started this with google sketch, but I suck at it, so I just finished it with a paint program.

Neat idea. So the screw top cap would stay on except when you wanted to take a gravity reading and then insert hydrometer take reading remove hydrometer and recap? Or does it stay in the whole time the wort is fermenting?

Not sure I follow the primer button option, would you somehow pull in new wort from the bottom and flow it back into the top of the fermenter?

This is a neat idea. I'm basically picturing an oversized sight glass with a sealable top.

Any reason to need to cycle the wort each time? Assuming your wort is mixed well before it gets drawn into the sight glass portion, is it safe to say the fermentation would be consistent?

If the fermentation is active enough to circulate through the sight glass, you will have sediment on the bottom return elbow. Could you "45" it back to the conical part to eliminate sediment issues?

Neat idea. So the screw top cap would stay on except when you wanted to take a gravity reading and then insert hydrometer take reading remove hydrometer and recap? Or does it stay in the whole time the wort is fermenting?

Not sure I follow the primer button option, would you somehow pull in new wort from the bottom and flow it back into the top of the fermenter?

I want to insert the hydrometer after I fill the tank with wort, then remove and clean after fermentation. The idea was to just leave it in there for the duration of fermantion.

The primer button I have in mind would be similar to a lawn mower gasoline primer. Basically it's to introduce new wort in to the hydrometer chamber in case it has different attributes such as temperature.

Huaco said:
If the fermentation is active enough to circulate through the sight glass, you will have sediment on the bottom return elbow. Could you "45" it back to the conical part to eliminate sediment issues?

I love this idea. I think I'll implement that in my prototype. That will help with cleaning as well.

jlachesk said:
Any reason to need to cycle the wort each time? Assuming your wort is mixed well before it gets drawn into the sight glass portion, is it safe to say the fermentation would be consistent?

I'm not sure if I would need to cycle wort. A friend mentioned it may be necessary to balance temperature difference or varying fermentation levels. My original plan was not to circulate though. I may try it first and then try it with a primer button as well.

I see issues with kausen forming in the tube, sticking to your hydrometer, and giving false readings. Which is why I like the recirc option, but think you should plan on making the hydrometer easy to fish in and out for cleaning purposes.

Really cool idea though.

Did you build this? How did it go? Would you like to share your experience?

Latest posts

Back