Cardinal sin: a dirty racking tube !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I did the cardinal sin tonight. I racked 2 wines. When I was done I was washing the second racking tube and I noticed a 4 inch dirty section just below the bend in the cane. I racked 2 wines through that dirty racking tube. Luckily, hopefully, they were done fermenting.

I don't know how it happened. I rinse everything when I am done using it and then I wash it.

I have said racking cane now soaking with B Brite. I am not sure how to get it 100% clean again.

I could never use non see through equipment. I have to be able to see where the dirt and nasties hang out.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you ?

Hasn't happend to me, and hopefully won't. Deep breath, hold....it'll be okay...it'll be okay....:D

Can you try the vaccuum trick and string with a tiny ball of say cotton or something? Vaccuum the string through (prolly need to make a temporary nozzle modification) and then use the string to pull through oh I dunno pipe cleaners or something. Just a brainstorm... (although the diameter of the tube might prove tricky)

hope the wine is a-ok!

Back