SMaSH with Pale Ale Malt and Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm going to try my first SMaSH this weekend and wanted some pointers on getting some more complexity into the beer. Since I'm using Pale Ale Malt (~3.5L) I'm planning on roasting about 1 pound of grain for 20 minutes at about 300*F in my oven. Is there anything else I should worry about? I may do either a step mash or a decoction to get some more body as well. Some guys in my club also suggested taking 1 gallon of my first runnings and reducing it to a syrup like many do in Scottish styles.

Thanks!

I'll post the recipe in a few.

I thought smash recipes were primarily for nailing the taste of a single malt and a single hop? If you toast the malt it's not technically a smash.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I thought the purpose was almost to eliminate complexity so you can really taste what just that one malt tastes like and the same for the hop. I also have not looked into it all that much, but that is what I thought the purpose was.

That is one purpose, but there's also the challenge of seeing how much you can get out of a simple combination of ingredients.

I thought smash recipes were primarily for nailing the taste of a single malt and a single hop? If you toast the malt it's not technically a smash.

That is one purpose to do it, however I'd really like to try and see what kind of complexity I can get out of Pale Ale malt... I love amarillo, so I'm using that to really get a good feel for it since it has been my favorite hop for IPAs

Back