kegged, then right to the frig.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I just kegged a batch a beer. Just some regular ole' dry hopped mini-mash american wheat beer using Muntons yeast.

Anyways, I filled the keg....put it the frig....carbed it to 30psi...and let it sit a day, then dropped it to 20psi.

Is this method ok? Will it still age and clear ok, even though I went directly into the frig after fermentation?

I would still suggest letting your beer age at room temperature for a while as well. Sure there is no real issue with force carbing after racking it - but you still need to give it time to bulk age. Your tastebuds will thank you for this.
-Me

I keg this way quite often, although I don't drop it to 20 psi. However I still let it sit for a minimum of three weeks before tapping. Most of the reason for the three weeks comes from not needing the beer any faster than that more than anything.

I would still suggest letting your beer age at room temperature for a while as well. Sure there is no real issue with force carbing after racking it - but you still need to give it time to bulk age. Your tastebuds will thank you for this.
-Me

SO, is the issue the carbing? or the temp?

Are you supposed to pressure then set aside to condition (preferably at 70F)?

(newb to kegging but got myself a few corny kegs yesterday and slowly putting together the things i need to do this)

I primary/secondary in cornie, but the idea is the same. If you have a spare cornie, I would rack it to cornie, pressurize it to make sure your seals are good, and get a layer of CO2 on top of your beer. Bleed it, and let it sit at room temp to age/condition. You could just leave it in secondary longer, but this will protect your beer from light, free up a fermentation vessel, and be ready to serve easier.

When you're ready to serve, hook it up to pressure and chill. I normally am anxious and force carb mine- 30 PSI for about a day and a half to two days, shut off gas/bleed keg, and set to serving PSI.

1. CO2 dissolves better under colder temperatures- you can carb while warm, but if you can I would chill it.
2. As posted, you don't need to pressurize it, as there should be a layer of CO2 on top of your beer. I say pressurize/bleed it to ensure you have good seals; then it's just like bottling- keep it around room temp (~70 give or take) and let your residual yeasties do their work on that green beer!

Hope this helps, and happy kegging :mug:!

so....should I just keep it where it's at?

Or take it out of the frig to age at room temp for a while?

I am fortunate enough now to have several brews at various stages and I have taken to kegging a batch and setting the seal on the lid with 30psi after purging the O2 from the keg. I then allow that to sit for an hour or so then release the pressure and pressurize it using a spare hose and quick connect which is attached to my CO2 tank outside of my refrigerator. This will sit for several days until a space opens in the refrigerator for the keg. I then move it into the space vacated by the last empty keg, attach my hose (CO2) and allow it to chill and carbonate for another few days before serving.

My only problem at this point is that I am out of kegs and needs me a few more.

Salute! :mug:

so....should I just keep it where it's at?

Or take it out of the frig to age at room temp for a while?

How long was it in the primary? Wheat beers finish fast. All of my beers condition in a keezer at 55f. But I don't make wheat's, yours may be ready to go.

It was a week in the primary....but I also used a dry Muntons yeast. So it shouldn't be as complex as a liquid yeast.

Its been in the frig under pressure for 4 days now (1 day at 30psi, 3 days at 20psi)....should I still take it out?

Give it a taste, if you think it could benefit from some more time take it out because like David 42 said earlier it will take 2-3 times longer while it's cold. I personally have taken beers out of the primary kegged one night and the next night drank it.

ITS starting to get better now..... maybe in a couple more days, it will be real good.

Normally for this kind of beer I do, it's ready in 2-3 days......looks like it will be a little over a week the way i did it this time.

thanks for the help!

Ok.....I just kegged a new batch of beer. Was a wheat beer using Danstar Munich yeast.

7 days in the fermenter. I filled the keg. Put 30psi to it....shook it a little. Dropped it to 20psi.

Now I should just let it sit at room temp for a few days under 20psi??? Or take the pressure off?

Ok.....I just kegged a new batch of beer. Was a wheat beer using Danstar Munich yeast.

7 days in the fermenter. I filled the keg. Put 30psi to it....shook it a little. Dropped it to 20psi.

Now I should just let it sit at room temp for a few days under 20psi??? Or take the pressure off?

The pressure doesn't really matter. You can leave it on the gas if you like. It doesn't affect the aging at all.

Wheat beers should ferment out pretty fast (under a week or a week). That being said, a lot of people keg them and skip secondary after a week. The reason for this is that the hop character in a wheat beer (pretty low pronounced anyway) fades fairly quickly. this is something you'll want to drink within a month or two to be the freshest. So don't worry and cheers.

Nick

I do 30psi for 48 hours then reduce to 12psi , after about 3more days its kinda ready to drink, but gets better each day after that. You run the risk of overcarbing if you let it sit any longer than 48hours at 20 or 30 psi. Wheat beer can be enjoyed young, but they already foam quite a bit, then add over carbonation, and you'll have issues. I'd release pressure, set to 12 and leave it for a few days.

I do 30psi for 48 hours then reduce to 12psi , after about 3more days its kinda ready to drink, but gets better each day after that. You run the risk of overcarbing if you let it sit any longer than 48hours at 20 or 30 psi. Wheat beer can be enjoyed young, but they already foam quite a bit, then add over carbonation, and you'll have issues. I'd release pressure, set to 12 and leave it for a few days.

But, we're talking room temperature here, right? It won't over carb at 20 psi at room temperature.

Just make sure you pull the pressure relief valve when putting into the kegerator, so you don't get backflow into your regulator when you lower the temperature and reduce the pressure.

Comparing room temp/kegerator temp psi is pointless. The pressure (psi) is totally different. Check the carbonation tables to set your pressure, and trust them!

But, we're talking room temperature here, right? It won't over carb at 20 psi at room temperature.

Just make sure you pull the pressure relief valve when putting into the kegerator, so you don't get backflow into your regulator when you lower the temperature and reduce the pressure.

Comparing room temp/kegerator temp psi is pointless. The pressure (psi) is totally different. Check the carbonation tables to set your pressure, and trust them!

Well the title does say "kegged, then right to the fridge":rockin:

It was a week in the primary....but I also used a dry Muntons yeast. So it shouldn't be as complex as a liquid yeast.

Its been in the frig under pressure for 4 days now (1 day at 30psi, 3 days at 20psi)....should I still take it out?

possibly may get Over carbed..maybe:D

possibly may get Over carbed..maybe:D

nah it was just perfect. It just needed to age a little longer than normal. I dropped it back to 10psi, and let it sit a few more days in the frig.

But on this new batch, I put 30psi to it...shook it for a few secs. Then dropped it to 20psi, and I guess I'll let it sit a few days at room temp before I hit the frig.

oh sure after you made yooper and I duke it out..:D See now this is where Yooper's right. Refer to the carbonation tables for temp, pressure and style, 20 psi might not be enough at room temperature... Right Yooper????;)

Latest posts

Back