Force Carbing and Cross-contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintdanmic

Reaction score
I just build my kegerator to a functional point. I still have some fascia to complete to make it pretty. I force carbonated two kegs at a buddy's house while constructing this.

Here is the reason for my following question. I connected the gas line to the keg and heard a dripping noise. Apparently I didn't have a tight seal (forgot to tighten it in my impatience) where the hose connected to the regulator, causing the pressurized beer to come back throught the gas line. I'm thinking that in the future, if I add an uncarbonated keg to the series to force carb., the pressure difference will cause beer from existing kegs to come through the gas lines and contaminate the lines and the new batch with their flavours.

Do experienced people disconnect all of their other kegs for a few days while force carbing a new batch? Or is there another way around this?

I'm adding another keg to my draft system (currently only 1 keg). I'm using a Y splitter that attaches to the regulator and 2 shut off valves that screw into the Y. Both of the shut off valves have built in check valves that allow gas to flow through but nothing to flow back in the opposite way. Some guy at my LHBS told me its not necessary but it seems like its what everyone uses.

Here's the shut off valves and Y splitter I'm talking about:
http://northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html

Yeah, I have the check valves and close valves. I can close the valve (what are those called?) in the line, but I also have check valves as a back up. What I do is close the valve to the already carbed keg, and then carb up the other one.

Yeah, I have the check valves and close valves. I can close the valve (what are those called?) in the line
Ball valve, you mean?

@ the plastic ones, I love them... they're pretty low profile, they work great, and they're cheaper than dirt - I bought an extra 3 or 4 when I ordered, so that if one ever broke or got liquid in it, I would have spares handy. :)

Back