Frozen White Labs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I ordered a vial of White Labs yeast from Midwest. When it arrived today I was not home. When I got home from work UPS left the package outside my door. The yeast is frozen in the bottle of the vial and will not let go. Is the yeast ruined?

Make a starter, you may find it is OK. That's the only way to tell.

If it is still cold, it is best warmed up quickly; place in room temperature cup of water rather than just leaving it to warm up in the air, or worse, in the fridge.

You lose some viability with freezing (due to cells being ruptured by ice crystals, not the temperature), but you should be fine. Make a starter.

Calder, what's your reasoning behind a quick warm up? In general, I think yeast prefer gradual temp changes.

You lose some viability with freezing (due to cells being ruptured by ice crystals, not the temperature), but you should be fine. Make a starter.

Calder, what's your reasoning behind a quick warm up? In general, I think yeast prefer gradual temp changes.

I put the vial in the refrigerator to "defrost".

There is liquid in the vial. It's just the yeast that seems to be frozen in the bottom.

I put the vial in the refrigerator to "defrost".

There is liquid in the vial. It's just the yeast that seems to be frozen in the bottom.

Oh, well then I think you just have some tightly packed yeast. If the liquid wasn't frozen, I don't think you have the slightest problem.

I don't know the science, but when reviving frozen yeast, the viability is increased by defrosting quickly rather than slowly. Less cell ruptures or something.

When freezing, the opposite is best (cool and keep close to freezing for 24 hours before actually freezing).

How do you remove it from the vial?

Shake it up to mix the yeast and the liquid. You can do that now, to make sure it's not frozen. Then when it's time to open it, gently shake and wait for a minute. Then SLOWLY loosen the top to let it "hiss" out. Once that happens, you can slowly open it the rest of the way. If you shake it and open it quickly, your kitchen will be painted with yeast and you'll have none for your wort.

Ask me how I know. :mad:

I don't know the science, but when reviving frozen yeast, the viability is increased by defrosting quickly rather than slowly. Less cell ruptures or something.

When freezing, the opposite is best (cool and keep close to freezing for 24 hours before actually freezing).

I was hoping Yeast would provide some insight, it doesn't say much other than it does indicate quick warming (hold the tube in your hand until it reaches room temp) as the way to go for thawing.

As for the freezing, I was wrong about the crystals lysing the cells, its more to do with osmotic pressure lysing the cells. And apparently once you have it cold for a while, rapid freezing is best.

There is just so much to know about those crazy little yeasties.

Shake it up to mix the yeast and the liquid. You can do that now, to make sure it's not frozen. Then when it's time to open it, gently shake and wait for a minute. Then SLOWLY loosen the top to let it "hiss" out. Once that happens, you can slowly open it the rest of the way. If you shake it and open it quickly, your kitchen will be painted with yeast and you'll have none for your wort.

Ask me how I know. :mad:

GOOD POINT.

That's one of those messes that really sucks to clean up. Because not only is it a mess, its a waste, and those poor guys had such a higher calling in life.

Back