Getting the chlorine out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
The water in our town has chlorine in it. Other than that we have great water in the area to brew . In fact, all 3 breweries in the are use the water right from the tap. My question is, what is the best way to get the chlorine out. I was thinking that it should probably evaporate as I heat up the water. Do you think that would be ok or is there some other step that I should follow.

I leave mine out in the sun. I try to keep my water bottles full so I always have brewing water on hand. I need to get some campden tablets or a filter so I can brew even if I don't have any more water ready.

I bought a whole house carbon water filtration system and found a way to attach it to an RV drinking water hose in my garage. I just fill my HLT with that. It removes all traces of chlorine and it's ridiculously fast and easy on brew day.

I use a filter desinged for an RV, it is good for 1000 gallons and hooks right up to the house spigot.

if you leave your water uncovered over night most of the chlorine will dissipate, most cities use chloride instead of chlorine because it wont come out of solution as fast if at all. If you still have a chlorine taste after leaving it over night you will need a filter or campden tablets to get rid of it.

VB

Back