1st extract Bavarian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranegrad

Reaction score
I should have written all the info down on this batch but I did not. I bought a clone recipe from Austin Homebrew Supply. Anyway, I know I used White Labs WLP300 yeast. My OG was 1.048 and finished at 1.010. When it fermented (2 weeks at 70F) it smelled of bananas (really good). Tasted it when I put it in the Corny keg--tasted on the weak side but had a much more citrus taste than I expected. Does this particular strain of yeast account for that sour taste?

I've have had two brews come out tasting kind of like what you are describing, except both used different yeast. The first one was a dry yeast made with a Red Ale Kit from Brewer's Best.

You can read more about it here if you want. Review of Brewer's Best Red Ale Kit

Then I brewed up a Bavarian Hefeweizen which is much like a Bavarian Wheat and it came out very similar to my red ale and similar to what you are talking about.

Both of my beers had that banana smell and had a citrus taste and kind of a yeasty after taste. By no means perfect, but totally drinkable.

I would say if the "sour" taste isn't gut wrenching it is probably associated with the style and therefore your particular yeast. However there are so many factors that go into how brew tastes that it could be something completely different as well.

http://tinyurl.com/ya45kwm

That I am not sure of. What kind of lower temps? What was your original temperature and what would you go to?

I'm really not positive on what effects an ale yeast fermenting at 70 degrees would be compared to one at say, 60 degrees. That is a decent range for ale yeast I believe.

Back