is it safe to brew with lp gas indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alLovesBeer

Reaction score
i was thinking of converting a room in my basement to a brew room for the winter is it safe to burn lp gas for extended periods indoors . thanks al

No. Absolutly not safe to use this indoors. Outside of the fire hazard, burning propaine produces some nasties you dont want to breath in too much. Wish it was the oposite though.... can't use your stove?

Yes, but it takes a good ventilation system and a non-flamable floor. You'll need about 200-400 cfm for a standard turkey burner AND about 2 square feet of inlet. Do not depend on air flow from the rest of the house.

Make certain your burners are bolted to the floor or a solid wall.

I have a propane dryer, water heater and fireplace, all inside, all properly vented.

I don't know if you have natural gas or not, but there are natural gas burners available. Those are safe for indoor use, but require a qualified plumber to run the line.

When I go to all grain eventually, I'm considering using natural gas. I had my house built with a stub outside and might even run one in the basement.

Of course, with any open flame, you're going to want to take percausions to make sure you don't burn the house down.

Latest posts

Back