Muscadine wine how much water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dearl

Reaction score
I have noticed that recipes for muscadine wine have different water recommendations. Some have no water all the way to three gallons of added water. After mashing my muscadines I have four gallons of juice, pulp and skins. How much water do I add to this during the first fermenting stage?

I have noticed that recipes for muscadine wine have different water recommendations. Some have no water all the way to three gallons of added water. After mashing my muscadines I have four gallons of juice, pulp and skins. How much water do I add to this during the first fermenting stage?

The reason for adding water is to help decrease the acidity of the juice. 100% muscadine juice would be harsh and tart once fermented, at least to me. If you go by how acidic the are (they have little acid titration kits), you could dilute a bit and then drop the acidity with something like potassium carbonate. Or do it to taste. Then, sugar is added to get to the desired OG.

Thanks for that info. None of the recipes I looked at explained why they was adding water. Some was one gallon and some said three gallons.

Thanks for that info. None of the recipes I looked at explained why they was adding water. Some was one gallon and some said three gallons.

Sounds like winemakers who knew what worked for them. I'd agree- between 1 and 3 gallons may be right. But only you know how acidic your muscadines are. They don't grow anywhere near me, so I have no idea.

Back